Author Topic: Kitchenaid Stand Mixer Sausages  (Read 3906 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchenaid Stand Mixer Sausages
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 11:53 PM »
Oh, and I always eat one or two RIchmond pork sausages raw.

** Phil.

Probably a very rare occurrence in quality controlled pig farming these days but look up Trichinella Spiralis.  I know when I was a kid and we used to chase feral pigs at a place called Yetman on the Macintyre River, between Goondawindi / Boggabilla and Texas, we had to carefully inspect the meat for "worms".  Little sucker piglets were a much safer bet than the older mature animals.

Anyway, I doubt I'll tuck into a raw Richmond Pork sausage any time soon due to availability. The images of them would suggest there is minimal actual pork and a lot of meal, although the ingredient listing says 42% Pork, 10% Pork Fat.  It must be all very well emulsified.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Sausages (out of sequence as site wouldn't accept photo of cooked sausages) and Scotch Fillet steaks, home baked (still warm) white Pullman loaf (Pain de Mie) and the by-product of pork sausages, pork scratchings. Unfortunately only the second batch made it to the photograph.

Pork Scratchings were my best effort so far.  They can be tricky.  These ones were salted for an hour, boiled in brine for 2 hours, patted and air dried, dehydrated at 60'C for 8 hours, air dried some more then roasted at 240'C for about 10 minutes, drained on paper towel and salted with fine ground Himalayan pink rock salt.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 09:25 AM »
You disappoint me, Livo.  You abbreviate "sausages" to the canonical Australian "sausos" but leave "fillets" and "Pullman" untouched.  A real Aussie would have written "fillos" and "Pullo" !

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 03:22 PM »
nice work there, Livo!

I have a Pro model KitchenAid. The grinder is a bit temperamental but a beast once you get it into its stride. I found the sausage stuffer attachment OK for small runs (a couple of pounds) but any more than that and it showed its cheapness. I bought a column sausage stuffer from Amazon that makes stuffing sausages an absolute dream. If you're regularly making batches of sausages of more than a couple of pounds / a kg or so, you may want to check out a column stuffer.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 09:32 PM »
I've long wanted the Kitchenaid mixer and the imminent death of my bakehouse allowed the justification.  I bought an unused second hand (wedding gift) unit for half the new price.  The sausage tubes were an unexpected freebie with the mincer attachment, again unused but bought separately. They are bit dodgy to be honest and I agree with you completely. A dedicated sausage filler is already on the list.  The spiral worm feed is fine for mincing but less than ideal for filling and there is a lot to support this.  You can do it but it's going to get old pretty fast.

I've just read that the collagen casings should only be used on parallel (not tapered) horns.  This essentially means the Kitchenaid is restricted to using natural casings only and this could have contributed to my initial frustrations with this batch.  They are pretty tasty though.

Sorry Phil. Could be a throwback to file naming protocols, filename.ext (8.3).  I remember struggling with the freedom of extended filenames.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 09:29 AM »
Good work on your sausages Livo, well made, well cooked.

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 03:29 PM »
Livo, I have used collagen casings on the KA stuffer with no problems except those caused by my own incompetence  :cool:

©2024 Curry Recipes