Author Topic: Paella  (Read 1926 times)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Paella
« on: April 21, 2020, 11:48 AM »
I have ordered a Paella recipe book from Amazon and have moved away from the Weber idea as I don

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Paella
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 11:59 AM »
I've cooked paella a few times on different bbq's and don't find its a problem with the heat. I just don't load the charcoal as as much. Personally I prefer to cook outdoors. The weber pans are massive. I have the GBS wok and its a fair old size. I've to try my paella pan over charcoal but I've just found it in the back of the cupboard so will try it this week or next. The 'lockdowns' great for trying stuff.

What paella book did you get?

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 12:18 PM »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 12:39 PM »
Hmm, I think this aspect might put me off :

With a few exceptions, the author doesn't explain where a recipe comes from. I'm interested in traditional recipes and regional variations, and he doesn't explain which are the traditional ones as opposed to something the author made up. And he has made up a lot of 'modern' ones, eg Indian-style paella, new york style paella, paella with foie gras, paella with truffles, paella with champagne... and so on. Knowing which of the 80 or so recipes are traditional and authentic would help a lot.

Like the author of the comment, I would prefer to be told only about traditional, regional, recipes (after all, every region of Spain believes that its version of paella is better than any other) rather than include 21st-century "fusion" recipes and the author's own formulations.  I'm going to pass on this one, much as I love both paella and a good recipe book.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 01:13 PM »

Do you use Bomba rice?

No, just bog standard Paella rice from the supermarkets. And yes I add chorizo..

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 03:14 PM »
Hmm, I think this aspect might put me off :

With a few exceptions, the author doesn't explain where a recipe comes from. I'm interested in traditional recipes and regional variations, and he doesn't explain which are the traditional ones as opposed to something the author made up. And he has made up a lot of 'modern' ones, eg Indian-style paella, new york style paella, paella with foie gras, paella with truffles, paella with champagne... and so on. Knowing which of the 80 or so recipes are traditional and authentic would help a lot.

Like the author of the comment, I would prefer to be told only about traditional, regional, recipes (after all, every region of Spain believes that its version of paella is better than any other) rather than include 21st-century "fusion" recipes and the author's own formulations.  I'm going to pass on this one, much as I love both paella and a good recipe book.
I actually read that one along with some others, the jist of which suggested he knew what he was talking about so I went with it, something else to peruse during lockdown.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 03:16 PM »

Do you use Bomba rice?

No, just bog standard Paella rice from the supermarkets. And yes I add chorizo..
[/quote

I

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 04:21 PM »

©2024 Curry Recipes