Author Topic: Anyone cook with Reapers?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Anyone cook with Reapers?
« on: April 24, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Anyone ever cook with Carolina Reapers?  I grew these one year but honestly they

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone cook with Reapers?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 06:10 PM »
Not I.  For fresh chillies I use the Thai red and green long narrow chillies that are widely available in the UK, and I find them fine for my palate which prefers Madras but will handle vindaloo when required.  I used to eat Bangalore phal on virtually a daily basis, but after four months my guts rebelled, I dropped right down to bhuna, and have very slowly made my way back up to Madras and vindaloo again.  Morrison's do a wonderful "fabulous flaming fiery phal" which has scorpion chillies [1] in it, but I find that to enjoy it I have to alternate spoonsful of curry with spoonsful of Greek yoghurt.

** Phil.

[1] See attachment.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 07:01 PM »
For BIR, I don't cook with any fresh chillies - the heat is too unpredictable. Might use some as a garnish though, then the eater can choose if they want a little extra heat.

But NOT Reapers (though I am growing some this year for sauces).

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 08:56 PM »
Reapers was an experiment that, although successful, I ended up with over 40 fruit, was ultimately pointless.  Stuck to habaneros, Thai chilies and Ghost Peppers last year. Much more manageable.  I smoke some of the habs and ghosts which dries them out so I can crumble them into rice dishes, and Mexican dishes too.  Wrong flavor for Indian curry.  Can

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 03:52 AM »
Anyone ever cook with Carolina Reapers?  I grew these one year but honestly they

©2024 Curry Recipes