Author Topic: Live cook along with Misty Ricardo Pathia 26/4/20 17.30  (Read 6220 times)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Live cook along with Misty Ricardo Pathia 26/4/20 17.30
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 02:52 PM »
 :like:

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 05:13 PM »
The most interesting thing about this is that in a BIR dish nothing really matters.  These are the ingredients you need in advance but if you don't have even some of them it doesn't matter.  Use anything you want (or have) or leave them out completely.  It doesn't really matter much so use any ingredients you want really and we'll call it a success.

Your comment, and others, confirm my view that my take on how to cook a half decent BIR style curry, and yours, are now so different that we are beyond reconciliation. Unless you were being sarcastic, of course.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 10:16 PM »
Of course it's sarcastic George. The recipe is defined, and to prepare the dish as intended it should be followed.  My comment is light hearted dig at the multiple instances in the video where variation or omission of what would appear to be integral ingredients is mentioned.  Tej patta, cassia bark,  lemon juice and jaggery to name the obvious ones.

Is the dish the same if you use European Bay leaf, cinnamon, lime juice, brown or refined sugar?  Prawn, raw chicken, pre-cooked chicken, lamb or vegetables?  All very different variations of the pathias cooked on Sunday.  Factorial 10  is  3628800 possible variations just from these listed ingredients. Then if you take into account powdered spices and base gravy the possibility of any 2 dishes cooked on Sunday being identical is remote. (Of course you aren't going to use combinations of lamb, chicken and prawns but you could use 1 and vegetables so Factorial 5 or 6 is still quite a large number of possible variations).

Does it matter? Not in the slightest.

I also had a chuckle at the hosts assumption that people using vegetables know how long to cook the different ones "because they are vegetarians".  It's a light-hearted video,  a wonderful idea and very entertaining.  It inspired me to buy 600 grams of lovely green prawns for tonight's dinner, which I will attempt to prepare to specification.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 03:04 AM by livo »

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 12:33 AM »
Richard (MR) is a guy like any other. He is my (on-line) friend and I know for a fact he works tirelessly for literally a pittance.

We were chatting before he went live and he was nervous as anyone would be. It took as long as it took and that was his intention. The point here wasn't to demonstrate mastery in a post-produced sort of way. He is being very human and reaching out in a vulnerable way to help people during this time. And people are having fun with it which is something we could all do with these days.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 01:05 AM by romain »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 01:01 AM »
I loved it.  Very human and 100% relatable to my own experiences in the home kitchen.  I didn't get to use the prawns in a recreation last night due to other things occurring and instead made our "go-to" prawn masala which is incredibly quick and easy and delicious.  With any luck I will make a chicken version later today.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 01:05 AM »
Livo - I will let him know. I'm sure he'll be delighted you enjoyed it!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 08:53 AM »
Richard (MR) is a guy like any other. He is my (on-line) friend and I know for a fact he works tirelessly for literally a pittance.

Well, he did let slip that he has sold over 11000 copies of his books, so he's not about to go bankrupt !
** Phil.

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 10:01 AM »
I doubt the author makes more than about 20p per copy of a book sold these days, so it

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 10:49 AM »
He has been at this for years. You have absolutely no idea how much work this has been. This is a labour of love for him. 11,000 books is a very small number and Jon is right. There's no money in cookbooks at this kind of volume...

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 10:55 AM »
Really?

©2024 Curry Recipes