Author Topic: Home baking  (Read 733 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Home baking
« on: April 30, 2020, 01:38 AM »
Sorry Phil, I somehow missed this post but I love the linked clip. Brilliant.  He is just as brilliant as the virus.  The Trumpster will go down as one of the world's greatest orators for sure.

I am one of many to join the Covid-19 home baking journey.  I used to bake bread almost daily a few years back but not so much recently.  I was pleased to find I could still make a pretty nice loaf.

Sourdough is new to me and something I'd always wanted to try.  This is my second Wholemeal mixed grain loaf and my first White.  The white was yeast spiked at the final build stage to speed up the pre-bake rise so I could bake both together in the heated oven.  The white loaf was gone in the first 2 hours.  It was baked in a lidded Pullman loaf pan but it didn't quite have the volume to fill it right up which I quite like the look of anyway.

The sourdough technique produces a nice chewy crumb by comparison with a 3 hour yeast loaf.  The white loaf wasn't particularly sour but the Wholegrain, with the full 3 day sourdough process, had a delicious vinegary tang.

I already have a German wholemeal & grain and 2 more whites in the first build stages this morning.  I might make only 1 white and some rolls.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:25 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Home baking
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 10:00 AM »
I've moved your last post to a new thread, Livo.  I think that home baking deserves a thread of its own.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:25 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes