Author Topic: Wagamama Katsu recipe  (Read 1899 times)

Offline prawnsalad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Wagamama Katsu recipe
« on: April 30, 2020, 05:23 PM »
Saw this in the news

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/wagamama-katsu-curry-recipe-how-to-make-cooking-chef-tutorial-video-a9489466.html

I havn't been to one of these restaurants but it looks similiar to curry I had in Japan a few years ago (which I posted on here) notably by the use of flour.

Hope someone finds it interesting.

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Wagamama Katsu recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 05:50 PM »
I find it interesting and will be trying it, but I also find it amusing how people seem to assume that all these brands publishing recipes are giving away *their* recipe for how the dish which is served in their outlets is cooked. Nowhere in the Wagamama video does the guy say this is how the product they sell in their outlets is cooked, it

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 10:46 PM »
This may be of some assistance DB.

https://japan.recipetineats.com/katsu-curry-japanese-curry-rice-with-chicken-cutlet/

This curry sauce is not too far removed from many sweet curry sauce recipes I've seen. The typical Australian curried sausages, many of the UK fish shop curry sauce recipes and Chinese curried prawns and rice recipes I've investigated  are very similar.

You are completely on the mark and the curry powder or roux block used will be a significant factor.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:05 PM by livo »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 09:15 PM »
I have been to Japan many, many times with work and I do like the curry. I find the curry cubes are pretty close to what I have eaten in Japan.

When I first started trying to figure out how to make it myself many years ago all the Japanese I asked about it (here and in Japan) said they just use the cubes. Witness the acres of shelf space dedicated to the curry cubes in any Japanese grocery store.

I have my version on glebekitchen if anyone is interested but like I said, the cubes are easy and they work. The recipetineats version looks as good as any if you want to stick to cubes.

If you do use a curry powder, use a Japanese curry powder like S&B.

I've never seen coconut milk in any Japanese recipe FWIW.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 10:21 PM »
I bought some S&B mild cubes yesterday and made Curried Prawns and Rice for dinner. Really nice, simple and tasty. Peeled cooked prawns (sweet schoolies)  added at the end to simply heat through. A very simple curry with finely diced carrot, eshallot, and follow the instruction on the curry cube pack.

The addition of a milk is not uncommon, but not really necessary. Coconut milk is in most every Carribean version of Shrimp curry.

Even the plain version is sometimes served with coconut rice although traditional 1970's Australian was always plain white rice.

I'll have a look at glebekitchen today Romain.

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Do you reckon the

©2024 Curry Recipes