Author Topic: Backyard pizza ovens  (Read 16131 times)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Backyard pizza ovens
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2020, 11:13 AM »
The electric one is cool Romain.  2800W plugged into a standard domestic 230V outlet would be a good way to form a bulk buying relationship with your local fuse merchant, or at least to upgrade your home heating to a cozy

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2020, 12:13 PM »
JonG, an alternative to consider should your better half ignore your birthday wishes.  :lol:

https://youtu.be/bU7Yke-xRV0

Regards pap rika

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2020, 12:33 PM »
JonG, I hope you'll be happy with a booklet of Domino's vouchers or a home Mozzarella cheese kit.

Either that or if you are as fortunate as expected, and your wife likes pizza, you better get real good at it quite quickly.  Of course it's a slippery slope because you'll soon need a good quality (expensive) stand mixer.

In all seriousness, I do hope you receive the gift of home made pizza.  Nearly as good as home made fish 'n' chips, for which you'll require a good deep fryer.

To address efficiency though, the thermal load of heating anything to cook a pizza in 90 seconds is going to be questionable unless you cook a few at a time.  If I had the stone mason oven on my back deck I could imagine it being quite a talking point but essentially redundant.  Firewood fit for purpose is a pricey energy source these days.  We need to ask Greta how her pizza is cooked.  Maybe big glass lenses and the refractory and reflective properties of hard ice.

Yes Phil. I know. We do not tolerate the drink.

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 07:55 AM »
JonG, an alternative to consider should your better half ignore your birthday wishes.  :lol:

https://youtu.be/bU7Yke-xRV0

I applaud the ingenuity and wonder how much else in life we overcomplicate, when some lateral thinking might solve it much more cheaply.  Unfortunately I don

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2020, 11:56 AM »
I like the recycled brickwork (with mortar) and the dual purpose inspection / rotation port is efficient design.  A little sloppy on execution (out of control angle grinder cuts) but functionally sound.

I wonder what recipe he used for the pizza dough.  That is a pretty good looking pizza.  A big score for ingenuity but I bet he had the gas burner on for a while to get the stone hot.

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2020, 08:16 PM »
I have a Roccbox and its a great piece of kit.  Pretty expensive now, I got one through crowd funding.  But even the price it is now its solid and well built and plenty of people are using it commercially.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2020, 08:42 PM »
According to Gozney, the Roccbox comes in at just under

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2020, 09:28 PM »
According to Gozney, the Roccbox comes in at just under

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2020, 01:57 PM »
Kenzi-Lopez (SeriousEats) compares the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDK762aVaMI

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Kenzi-Lopez (SeriousEats) compares the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDK762aVaMI

pap rika posted it earlier in the thread. I do like Kenzi's channel.  :smile: :smile:

©2024 Curry Recipes