Author Topic: Chicken tikka  (Read 3098 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Chicken tikka
« on: May 08, 2020, 05:50 PM »
Now I wouldn't want for one second to seek to take anything away from Blade's achievements, and especially not from his Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs recipe, so I have chosen to call my version simply "as good as any BIR's", and I genuinely believe that if you try it you will not be disappointed.  The recipe is simplicity itself, and is just a minor adaptation of that which appears on the side of a jar of Laziza chicken tikka botti paste.  I used their recipe unmodified as my starting point, and then gave it  a couple of small tweaks in the light of experience for this week's batch, the first skewer of which I have just cooked and eaten.

Laziza's recipe reads :
Put several deep cuts in chicken, and mix about 2 to 3 tablespoonsful (75 gm) of Laziza chicken tikka botti paste with [the same quantity of] [Greek-style] yoghurt, then keep in the refgrigerator for 1
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 08:50 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken tikka
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 10:23 PM »
Made another batch of chicken tikka recently, on the same day that I made the most recent batch of seekh kebab mix, but this time used Laziza Tandoori Paste (catering size, but I don't think that makes any difference, unlike Patak's)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 08:21 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:38 PM »
Looks delicious Phil. I haven

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 03:34 AM »
Phil,

I have seen some posts that question the use of curry powder (undefined/questionable ratios) of spices/powders to then be added as a 'Spice mix' with the spices in the curry powder.

I have made a few versions of Chicken Tikka from this site many times and my wife has decided on her favourite (who am I to disagree, it is not sensible  :boom: )

I am therefore somewhat surprised to see you recommending a 3rd party ingredient, Laziza tandoori spice mix paste, without the usual interrogation of what is actually in it.

I have used Laziza shami kebab masala before, it was very good.. but I have not made a single beef/chicken or lamb burger/kebab since a very close friend of my daughter and ours died of Hodgkin Lymphoma at the end of 2017.  I have some packets of it in my cupboard that are now out-of-date but unopened, they will probably just have less 'flavour' and be less aromatic if I was to use them.  Right now, I still do not have the will to make them as they were a favourite and I am not ready yet.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 08:31 AM »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 08:42 AM »
I have seen some posts that question the use of curry powder (undefined/questionable ratios) of spices/powders to then be added as a 'Spice mix' with the spices in the curry powder.  [...]  I am therefore somewhat surprised to see you recommending a 3rd party ingredient, Laziza tandoori spice mix paste, without the usual interrogation of what is actually in it.

Well, I could list what goes into one of their pastes, but what would be the point ?  As I learned from Syed's seekh kebab recipe yesterday, you can make excellent seekh kebabs using only individual spices, and I shall try his recipe in the very near future.  But I have tried making chicken tikka in the past using individual spices, and I can say with 100% confidence that the tikka I make with Laziza pastes is better.  Now that could be because I now have a Tepro steak grill and some decent 8mm stainless skewers, which I lacked in the past, but I really think that a significant factor is that Laziza clearly know what they are doing in blending their masalas, and I have no shame in using them.

I have used Laziza shami kebab masala before, it was very good.. but I have not made a single beef/chicken or lamb burger/kebab since a very close friend of my daughter and ours died of Hodgkin Lymphoma at the end of 2017.

Not clear what the connection is, Bob, but I will research Hodgkin's Lymphoma and any reported connection with food (etc.) after posting this.  In the meantime, my very sincere condolences.

I have some packets of it in my cupboard that are now out-of-date but unopened, they will probably just have less 'flavour' and be less aromatic if I was to use them.  Right now, I still do not have the will to make them as they were a favourite and I am not ready yet.

Understood, Bob.  Take your time

©2024 Curry Recipes