Author Topic: "Spice Mix" (Kushi)  (Read 9134 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
"Spice Mix" (Kushi)
« on: January 20, 2007, 12:46 PM »
Hi All,

This is the "Kushi Spice Mix" that you might come across quite often on this site:

• 0.5 tsp chilli powder
  • 3 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 2.5 tsp coriander powder
  • 2 tsp curry powder (brand not specified)
  • 1.5 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 0.5 tsp ginger powder
  • 2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves ("methi") finely chopped

Simply measure the required quantities, mix together and store in an air-tight jar, in a cool place, out of direct sunlight.

Regards,
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:03 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: "Spice Mix" (Kushi)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 03:21 PM »
I like the cut of this ones jib Cory.  I did a search on the site but only found a reference to the Kushi Balti book and a Jalfrezi recipe.  Is this used mainly for Balti (don't cook them so don't know).  I think this would do well in a Madras or Vindaloo if the chilli was increased.

CP

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 05:51 PM »
I had my best curry ever using this spice when making a chicken balti curry. I follow the instructions given in the authentic balti curry book, using the M. Ali Haydor?s base and the result couldn?t be better, yummm. Highly recommended

Offline gdbraham

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 12:04 PM »
I had my best curry ever using this spice when making a chicken balti curry. I follow the instructions given in the authentic balti curry book, using the M. Ali Haydor?s base and the result couldn?t be better, yummm. Highly recommended

Is Mr ali Hador the author of the 'Authentic Curry Book', or a contributer to Cr0?  If he is not the author, I'd be very grateful to know who is, and also the ISBN number.

'Sounds like a good book!

Ta  GDBraham

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 05:08 PM »

Is Mr ali Hador the author of the 'Authentic Curry Book', or a contributer to Cr0?  If he is not the author, I'd be very grateful to know who is, and also the ISBN number.

'Sounds like a good book!

Ta  GDBraham

Mr. Ali Haydor is one of the authors of 'Authentic Balti Curry', ISBN 141205592-X, a humble book, very thin but in my opinion very very good, I haven?t made many bir curries so far, but the one I made from this book was an enormous hit, I can?t wait to make many more, I don?t know what the members of the forum, much better and much more experienced cooks than me, think about it but I consider that it worths every penny (I think it?s the best bir curry book I have come across with).

Regards

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 06:49 PM »
I don?t know what the members of the forum, much better and much more experienced cooks than me, think about it but I consider that it worths every penny (I think it?s the best bir curry book I have come across with).

I think the general concensus was that it wasn't what we were looking for because it is about Balti curries and they are substantially different to the typical BIR curries we were trying to achieve here on the forum.

Offline fumble

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 05:46 PM »
I think the general concensus was that it wasn't what we were looking for because it is about Balti curries and they are substantially different to the typical BIR curries we were trying to achieve here on the forum.

The main difference I can see is that the base sauce is prepared with very little oil (75ml) rather than the 300-500ml that seems necessary to get that BIR flavour. Its an interesting book though, well worth a read.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 08:47 PM »
Hi Fumble,

I have this book and I think it is excellent but I have posted the question 'What is the difference between a Balti and a BIR?'  The remark that you make with regards to the small quantity of oil sits very true with me and maybe that is the real difference?  In fairness to Mr Haydor he does explain in the foreword of the book that he has reduced the quantity of oil used to suit the British palet but on his journey to discover the perfect 'Balti' he explains that he came across many cooks that used alarming amounts of oil in preparing their dish.   I personally don't mind a lot of oil and I think next time, I will up the quantity just to see what it brings to the final dish.

Thanks again Fumble, that's given me plenty to think about!

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes