Author Topic: Chef Abdul salam  (Read 19423 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chef Abdul salam
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 05:32 PM »
Two very different approaches, but interestingly both start by frying the whole spices.  I watched the follow-up to "Fusion Inspired"'s base (Chicken Madras)  and that was also an interestingly different approach to the norm.  Not convinced that many chicken Madras have yoghurt in them, but his clearly does, although he does seem to try to leave most of the pre-cook sauce behind.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:14 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 09:59 PM »
I doubt restaurants would have that much by-product. The cooked marinade and the excess amount of sauce in the Madras would become a huge drain on profit unless all of the sauce is served.  If this is the case, the dish again shows the difference in UK gravy : meat ratio compared to my expectation and how I cook curry.

A large amount of carrot in the base gravy is new and he removed the whole spices, tree bark and leaves, before blending.

Interesting to see the 2 different substances both referred to as tomato puree.  Out here we have paste, puree, passata, diced and whole. 

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 01:22 PM »
Well here it is, the follow up video using his base sauce
https://youtu.be/_hxwtC1MYzI

Regards pap rika

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 04:37 PM »
And here you can see where he learned his trade.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:12 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 07:03 PM »
Well here it is, the follow up video using his base sauce
https://youtu.be/_hxwtC1MYzI

Regards pap rika

Not really BIR is it?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 09:37 PM »
Other than being Indian food made using a base gravy and mxied powder in Britain by a recognised Bangladeshi British Indian Restaurant chef from the Birmingham area you mean?

It was more than a single serve. The chicken wasn't pre-cooked boneless. Easily adjusted to BIR norms.  I'd say what he has demonstrated here is one of his "signature" dishes, ie, 1960. (see the menu)
https://www.easterneyelichfield.co.uk/restaurant-menu
All the BIR standards are there as well. Would you look at that? Cheese naan!

Edit: Fixed broken link to menu. Now working.

Water added very last answers your question Phil.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:14 PM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 10:26 AM »
 :omg:  Having cooked the Guinness Book of World Records biggest curry, at over 10 tonnes, I guess this is the guy we should ask about linear scaling of spices. :smiling eyes:

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 10:33 AM »
:omg:  Having cooked the Guinness Book of World Records biggest curry, at over 10 tonnes, I guess this is the guy we should ask about linear scaling of spices.

I seem to recall that when I was fortunate enough to still live in Kent, and my local BIR (The Taj of Kent) ran a stall at a local charity event, the bhuna chicken that they served from the stall (clearly cooked in bulk) was far better than the single-portion version that they served in the restaurant.  I can only think that when cooking in bulk they use traditional methods which are far better suited to up-scaling.

As to Chef Abdul Salam, I confess that I was absolutely gob-smacked when I saw just how much raw chicken he was adding to the wok !

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 12:20 PM »
It's the same with his Bengali beef video Phil. 3 kg of beef and I cooked it as per the recipe. After dinner the other night, at which 5 people had a helping, I put 3 full 750ml takeaway containers in the fridge. I'll need to freeze 2 of them tomorrow.

I'm going to give his base gravy a try complete with ground up whole spices. Then I'll make his chicken curry but this time I'll only do half. He surely must know something about it.

As for linear scaling I can say that I was surprised at how little spice is used for the 3 kg beef and as already reported in that thread, way too much salt.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 04:55 PM »
Not really BIR is it?

It's obviously not a single-dish typical BIR curry, no. I think it's more like a staff curry.

©2024 Curry Recipes