Author Topic: Black Pepper Chicken with thanks to Anjum Anand  (Read 310 times)

Online tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Black Pepper Chicken with thanks to Anjum Anand
« on: May 18, 2020, 07:55 AM »
We made this last night for a pensioner we seem to have adopted. His only experience of Indian has been BIR so we cooked a few traditional style dishes and he loved them all, but this was his favourite.

Anjum Anand in an article for the Grauniad says if she could choose her final meal this would be it.

Black pepper chicken
Serves 6
1kg chicken joints, skinned, with all visible fat removed and cleaned
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1-2 green chillies, pierced
5cm chunk of peeled ginger, cut into thin shreds
1 tbsp coriander powder
Salt, to taste
200ml water
1 tbsp black peppercorns, coarsely ground or to taste
½ tsp garam masala
2 tsp lemon juice
Two handfuls of fresh coriander, leaves and stalks, chopped

For the marinade
10g fresh ginger, peeled
30g garlic, peeled
1 tsp garam masala
1 chicken stock cube, dissolved in 3 tbsp hot water

1 Make a paste of the ginger and garlic with the garam masala and chicken stock. Coat the chicken and marinate for as long as possible in the fridge – at least an hour.

2 Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan. Add the onion and saute until brown – about 8 minutes. Add the green chillies, ginger, coriander powder and salt and cook for 30-40 seconds.

3 Add the chicken and sear on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Add the water and black pepper and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender, around 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally, adding splashes of hot water, if necessary.

4 Increase the heat and toss and turn the chicken in the gravy for a good 4-5 minutes to reduce the gravy to just a few tablespoons. Stir in the garam masala, lemon juice and the coriander, and serve.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
  • Blessèd are those with an open mind ...
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hôi~An Restaurant
Re: Black Pepper Chicken with thanks to Anjum Anand
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 09:44 AM »
I wonder whether a one-person of this dish might be feasible ...  It looks good, but if I cook for six the jackdaws, magpies and jays are going to get an absolute feast !
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons and/or emoji that it contains.

Online JonG

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Sounds delicious T63, thanks for posting it! 

Online JonG

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:32 AM »
I’ve just set the chicken into the fridge in its marinade, and will be cooking this dish tonight.  I find the simplicity of the recipe appealing and am intrigued to see how a curry without curry powder tastes.

I wonder whether a one-person of this dish might be feasible ...  It looks good, but if I cook for six the jackdaws, magpies and jays are going to get an absolute feast !

I think “serves 6” is a very optimistic estimate. My 1 kg of chicken joints is 8 drumsticks, and you know how little meat is on a typical chicken drumstick. I’ll be having a good go at eating the whole dish On my own in one sitting later, and will let you know how I fare with that  :like:

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
  • Blessèd are those with an open mind ...
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hôi~An Restaurant
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 09:47 AM »
I'll make sure that the paramedics are standing by, Jon ...
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons and/or emoji that it contains.

Online JonG

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 04:59 PM »
I miscounted - it was 7 drumsticks. Nothing which anyone with a good appetite would struggle to eat in one sitting imho, although to be fair it would have fed two people if needed. 

It made a very nice curry, thanks again T63.  My wife said it smelled “sexually good” while cooking, so wanted to try some. Her verdict was “very peppery”, so I think I cooked it right!  I simmered it a little longer than stated so the chicken would fall off the bone nicely and my onions needed frying 15 mins to brown, but other than that I followed the recipe as written.

Online tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 05:14 PM »
We batch cook and freeze portions of all our curries, but if we want a repeat during the week it goes in the coldest part of the fridge for up to a week

Online tempest63

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:17 PM »
I miscounted - it was 7 drumsticks. Nothing which anyone with a good appetite would struggle to eat in one sitting imho, although to be fair it would have fed two people if needed. 

It made a very nice curry, thanks again T63.  My wife said it smelled “sexually good” while cooking, so wanted to try some. Her verdict was “very peppery”, so I think I cooked it right!  I simmered it a little longer than stated so the chicken would fall off the bone nicely and my onions needed frying 15 mins to brown, but other than that I followed the recipe as written.
We use skinned thighs with any extra fat trimmed off and we are not precious about the quantities. I have doubled it since I posted this recipe and it worked out well

©2020 Curry Recipes