Author Topic: Easy parathas  (Read 8100 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Easy parathas
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 11:46 AM »
By no stretch of the imagination could that be called a paratha - I mean, give us a break.

:boom2:

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/paratha-recipe-plain-paratha/

Read down to where is says "There are different kinds of paratha."  A paratha is typically a layered flat bread.

The chef clearly states it is a different approach to achieving a "paratha" at home for people who have difficulty preparing them in the traditional manner using a rolling pin.  He also clearly says that they can be cooked to well done, which would give them a crispy finish.
Call it a wheat flour dosa or whatever you want. He calls it a paratha.

My only objection would revolve around calling it a paratha. A paratha, by definition, is a layered bread. This "paratha" clearly isn't layered in any way. If he'd called it a dosa I would have no gripes. Not the end of the world but let's call a paratha a paratha, eh?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 12:17 PM »
OK, so who invented (and therefore gets to define) the paratha ?  Was it we British, or was it the good folk from the sub-continent ?  A quick check tells me that the name comes directly from the Hindi , which very much suggests to me that it was invented on the sub-continent.  Now I have never heard Santa speak, nor Garp for that matter, but I have heard Syed speak, and unless my ears deceive me, he does originate from the sub-continent.  In which case I would prefer to take his word for it than either Santa's or Garp's, given that the probability is rather high that both are Britons.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 01:58 PM »
I agree with Santa.  :owsome:

Offline BRITISH-IAN FOOD

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2020, 10:34 PM »
Hi everyone,
i am really sorry for the late response.

i can see you guys are confused about my easy paratha recipe video.

this is not a traditional indian paratha. its just a quick n easy paratha recipe who dont have time or skill for the traditional one.

or a lot of people don't have time to do all the processes. that's why I showed this process.

and this looks like pancake or dosa. but the ingredients I used the same everything as actual paratha.

Name i gave paratha because its taste very close to the traditional paratha. that's why.

i hope you guys understand. if you have any question you can ask.

thank you

Offline Gaspodia

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 04:08 PM »
Thank you for sharing a quick version!  As you say, there are several recipes for paranthas and I have found all of them to be delicious!  My method of cooking paranthas is below:

I make them by starting with a basic roti dough (a rested chakki flour + water based dough), rolling it into a small circle.  I then add a filling, which is usually a spiced crushed potato (and sometimes pea) mixture into the middle of the circle.  I then fold each side towards the middle and roll out the resulting square to a larger size, rounding out the edges.

This is then placed on a tawa and cooked on one side and flipped.  The cooked side is brushed with ghee and the parantha flipped again and the other side similarly coated. One last flip to cook the second coated side a bit more then it is done.

Best eaten immediately after cooking; my family prefer to eat it with plain yoghurt or a dahl.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 03:36 PM »
Thanks for that, mate. Might give that a try  :like:

©2024 Curry Recipes