Author Topic: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING  (Read 29925 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2020, 01:30 AM »
And of course mine. I think I have transcribed 16 so far; I will send you (Syed) the link by PM
** Phil.

12 recipes I've made (and transposed to text) of Syed's so far but we're probably doubling up.  I have these in a Word document.

Mixed Curry Powder
Base Gravy
Korma Base
Chicken Tikka
Pre-cooked chicken
Pre-cooked vegetables
Tikka Masala Base
Chicken Korma (I haven't actually made this with Syed's Gravy and spice mix yet)
Butter Chicken
CTM
Pasanda
Madras.

Copied and pasted into PM to Chef Syed.  Can do the same for others or share the formatted document in One Drive or by email.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2020, 10:32 AM »
A fair amount of non-overlap, in fact, in that I am transcribing the recipes in which I have a personal interest and you are presumably doing the same.  Those which you have transcribed that I have not are :

• Korma Base
  • Pre-cooked vegetables
  • Tikka Masala Base
  • Chicken Korma (I haven't actually made this with Syed's Gravy and spice mix yet)
  • Butter Chicken
  • CTM
  • Pasanda
** Phil.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2020, 12:03 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seg3Rmts7Yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_l_rHS2FQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWw7_JNH1A

Was this discussed on the board already?

Do you mean the  Travels in India, London & the UK videos or the 3-pot method? Don't know about the first, although I've watched many of them before because they are fascinating. If you mean the 3-pot method we certainly have, although I'd be hard pushed to find where on the forum. I'm pretty certain it first came up as the AIR (Australian Indian Restaurant) technique many years back. All I can say is that of the many, many videos I've watched the 3-pot method is not typical and I've unscientifically concluded from that that it is not typical of UK BIRs.

Great channel indeed but was referring to the the three-pot-method, or more precisely, my assumption that the north-indian establishments will add some additional gravies (rarely seen three pots, but often more than one base and lately noticed the thick onion paste).

Using the site search for "Aussie IR Lesson" will take you to Masala Mark's 3 paste / gravy posts. Nut, Tomato and Onion. It's a lot of work, the nuts are quite expensive and these are large quantities.  Unfortunately, he never finished posting the actual dish recipes so there is only a few.

The onion paste / gravy has been discussed as similar to Bunjarra and certainly adds to any dish.

I recently posted a link to a site that lists multiple (14) Indian Hotel style gravies. Here it is again.

https://setupmyhotel.com/train-my-hotel-staff/chef-training/707-basic-indian-gravy-standard-recipe.html

Many thanks! The site looks really interesting. Remember reading Masala Mark's threads a few years ago. "The Bombay Palace Cookbook" includes some recipes too. Will try to find the discussons regarding the onion paste also.

I pretty much always get north-indian veg dishes so trying to replicate this particular taste, but agree that it's not your typical BIR. (you're missing out, I think)

Many thanks again guys!

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2020, 02:09 PM »
Well Syed

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2020, 03:55 PM »
Dish was enhanced greatly by Phil
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:43 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2020, 09:23 AM »
Just tried Syed's pilao rice (cold) after resting it overnight, and it is perfect for aroma, flavour and texture.  No need to order any more rice from Ganesha

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2020, 07:36 PM »
Well, I made Syed's chicken tikka yesterday
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 08:47 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2020, 12:24 AM »
 :omg: :omg: :omg: "coffee spoons and drizzle"??????

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2020, 08:31 AM »
Correct, dear boy, coffee spoons and drizzle.  These are real coffee spoons, gold-plated to avoid contamination, and they feature in many of my recipes.  As I felt, that, on this occasion at least, a modicum1 of accuracy was required, I reported the exact amount used.  The British Standard drizzle is defined as 60 minims = 3 scruples = 1 drachm.  You may approximate it as 3/4 teaspoon if you wish (it is in fact 0.369669 x 2 =  0.739338 British Standard teaspoons).
--------
[1] Any value in the range [0.333
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:48 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile

©2024 Curry Recipes