Author Topic: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING  (Read 30304 times)

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2020, 06:56 AM »
Hello guys..
i do apologize that I am unable to continue to this forum, due to capturing videos, editing then uploading, sharing on social media. everything on  my neck. i have read all the comments and i will take it on board.
my vindaloo and madras i am going to re-do it again in a proper way on my aluminum pan with the breast chicken. also, i am going to do My Special 'KILLER PHAL' Very soon.

and some of my previous videos i was extremely nervous as i never created any videos like this before. hopefully, with more practice, i will be more organized.

also i am working on updating my recipes to a written version.

thank you, stay safe :)

No need to feel nervous Syed - you

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Just watched syed's latest video showing how to cook service onions. Identical to my local chef's version, even down to using ajwain seeds. I used to see these seeds in my local shop and never really knew how BIR chefs might use them, that is until I was allowed to see my chef cook in the kitchen. If anyone has any doubts that syed's recipes are not genuine I can say this one again is spot on.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2020, 09:51 AM »
also i am working on updating my recipes to a written version.

I think everybody is doing this.  I have already done the recipes I've made so far.  It might save you some work if you collected text format files from the members here who have already transposed some of your videos.  You could then just read over them and edit as you see necessary.  I'm happy to send you the ones I've already done.

And of course mine. I think I have transcribed 16 so far; I will send you (Syed) the link by PM
** Phil.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2020, 12:16 PM »
I've looked into Syeds material and while I'm skeptical about using tomato paste for my specific needs, namely re-creating my favourite punjabi restaurant dishes*, I have no doubt that this will produce tasty curries. Cooking up your tomato puree with ginger-garlic is something that quite few restaurants do and worth trying out.

* In most of the videos I've seen, the chefs use base gravy plus red gravy plus sometimes something that some chefs call "onion sauce" (instead of "onion gravy"), which I suspect to be onion-tomato-paste.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2020, 04:20 PM »
* In most of the videos I've seen, the chefs use base gravy plus red gravy plus sometimes something that some chefs call "onion sauce" (instead of "onion gravy"), which I suspect to be onion-tomato-paste.

I think you're talking about the three pot method which is generally not used in BIR (i.e.UK restaurants). The three pot method uses a tomato sauce, an onion sauce, and a white, nut sauce and is used in actual Indian restaurants as opposed to Bangladeshi etc. that are the majority of UK based curry houses. I know it's used in Australia and the US Indian restaurants. If you have seen a red sauce in a BIR then it's probably the masala sauce which is sort of a tomato sauce, I suppose, but is for dishes like chicken tikka masala, or more likely just diluted down tomato puree.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Spent yesterday writing out a few of Syed

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2020, 06:36 PM »

I think you're talking about the three pot method which is generally not used in BIR (i.e.UK restaurants). The three pot method uses a tomato sauce, an onion sauce, and a white, nut sauce and is used in actual Indian restaurants as opposed to Bangladeshi etc. that are the majority of UK based curry houses. I know it's used in Australia and the US Indian restaurants. If you have seen a red sauce in a BIR then it's probably the masala sauce which is sort of a tomato sauce, I suppose, but is for dishes like chicken tikka masala, or more likely just diluted down tomato puree.

Yes, exactly - although I really am talking about the UK too. I tend to believe that the punjabi places mimic the indian restaurant and hotel method. Here are three videos of british establishments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seg3Rmts7Yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_l_rHS2FQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWw7_JNH1A

Was this discussed on the board already?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2020, 07:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seg3Rmts7Yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_l_rHS2FQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWw7_JNH1A

Was this discussed on the board already?

Do you mean the  Travels in India, London & the UK videos or the 3-pot method? Don't know about the first, although I've watched many of them before because they are fascinating. If you mean the 3-pot method we certainly have, although I'd be hard pushed to find where on the forum. I'm pretty certain it first came up as the AIR (Australian Indian Restaurant) technique many years back. All I can say is that of the many, many videos I've watched the 3-pot method is not typical and I've unscientifically concluded from that that it is not typical of UK BIRs.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2020, 11:37 PM »
Using the site search for "Aussie IR Lesson" will take you to Masala Mark's 3 paste / gravy posts. Nut, Tomato and Onion. It's a lot of work, the nuts are quite expensive and these are large quantities.  Unfortunately, he never finished posting the actual dish recipes so there is only a few.

The onion paste / gravy has been discussed as similar to Bunjarra and certainly adds to any dish.

I recently posted a link to a site that lists multiple (14) Indian Hotel style gravies. Here it is again.

https://setupmyhotel.com/train-my-hotel-staff/chef-training/707-basic-indian-gravy-standard-recipe.html

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2020, 12:27 AM »
Spent yesterday writing out a few of Syed

©2024 Curry Recipes