Author Topic: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING  (Read 8521 times)

Offline BRITISH-IAN FOOD

• Chef
    • View Profile
BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING
« on: May 30, 2020, 07:40 PM »
Hello, my name is Syed I was recommended by one of my Facebook follower from One of the British Indian food Facebook groups.

I am very passionate about creating food because I love the fusion that it creates in your mouth.

I have a YouTube channel that I recently created where I have uploaded some interesting yet flavorsome food.

The name of my channel is called 'British-ian food'.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
  • Blessèd are those with an open mind ...
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hôi~An Restaurant
Re: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 07:53 PM »
Welcome, Syed — good to have you on board.  Noble Ox has reported very positively on your work, especially your vindaloo, and I wondered if you would like to tell us something about yourself, and how your interest in "British-ian" food came about.

** Phil.

P.S. Just realised that I recognise the little tub in the centre of the right-hand dish in the last frame :  "Preema red food colour", unless I am very much mistaken !
P.P.S. Tried to find your channel on Youtube, and it appears to be called "Britishian Food" (i.e., without the hyphen)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:07 PM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons and/or emoji that it contains.

Offline BRITISH-IAN FOOD

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 08:14 PM »
Hello Phil I am very honored to be apart of this blog. I am overjoyed that you admired my Vindaloo.

My name is Syed and I worked in a  Restaurant as a head chef for a while during that time I developed my passion on creating flavoursome food. The name British-ian food came about when I was discussing to my wife about creating a YouTube channel with a unique name therefore she came up with this.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 08:24 PM »
Hello Syed. I've already watched your Korma and curry powder videos. In line with other comments, I was surprised by your cooking of the powders. Normally when making Masala the whole spices are roasted but powders are added cold during blending. You had those powders smoking. Very interesting.

I was speaking to a chef out here recently, briefly, and he confused me by referring to Chilli powder as Paprika. Can you explain which you use? Is it sweet Paprika, Kashmiri Chilli powder, deggi mirch, red chilli powder or hot chilli powder?

I look forward to trying your dishes.

Ps. I see you've already attracted the attention of a few well known names,  Martin and Alex.  High praise on your base gravy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:36 PM by livo »
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Offline Robbo141

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:22 PM »
Hello Syed
I watched your vindaloo video on your YouTube channel. Subscribed.
Very interesting, different approach to what I’ve seen before but absolutely going to give it a try.
I have an open mind when it comes to cooking and if it gets me closer to the BIR I remember from back home, I’m all in.

Cheers
Robbo

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 12:53 AM »
Hi Syed,

Welcome to the forum!  It’s great you’re sharing your knowledge in the videos you put out on YouTube and I hope you continue doing them and also post here.  I already saw you in one of the Facebook groups, so I know you have other choices on where to share your knowledge, so I do hope you stay around here.

One word of warning - here on this forum there are people who’ve been posting about Indian restaurant food for fifteen years or so who have convinced themselves they know everything, and who will dismiss anything new which either doesn’t fit their expectations as “wrong”, or if they wish to make themselves appear clever their criticism will be “this is nothing new”.  Please DO NOT get discouraged when you read rude comments like this, and remember most people will welcome your input.

Time after time I’ve seen new contributors show up on this forum and get driven away by the same old “experts” who will criticise everything.

So I’m looking forward to seeing you stick around here and remember the phrase “water off a ducks back” when your read someone criticising your videos, because sadly it’s bound to happen!
Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance that he himself has spun. Don't get caught in the web...

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 01:58 AM »

One word of warning - here on this forum there are people who’ve been posting about Indian restaurant food for fifteen years or so who have convinced themselves they know everything, and who will dismiss anything new which either doesn’t fit their expectations as “wrong”, or if they wish to make themselves appear clever their criticism will be “this is nothing new”.  Please DO NOT get discouraged when you read rude comments like this, and remember most people will welcome your input.

Time after time I’ve seen new contributors show up on this forum and get driven away by the same old “experts” who will criticise everything.

Already happening DB. I think we could see a new record set if he stops contributing after only one day.  Syed, please keep posting, and if not, I've already subscribed to your channel.  I look forward to your insights.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
  • Blessèd are those with an open mind ...
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hôi~An Restaurant
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 06:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  It’s great you’re sharing your knowledge in the videos you put out on YouTube and I hope you continue doing them and also post here.   [...] I know you have other choices on where to share your knowledge, so I do hope you stay around here.

Very sadly, I could not agree more.  The vast majority of members are always open to new input, new ideas, new voices and contributors, but there are a vocal few who, as Donald says, "have convinced themselves they know everything, and who will dismiss anything new which either doesn’t fit their expectations as “wrong”".  Please don't be put off by this vocal minority — new members and new ideas are very welcome here, we all have something to learn, and I for one am looking forward to your input. 

I watched your "chicken tikka vindaloo" video yesterday evening and it looked very promising :  the appearance of the final dish was perfect.  I started to watch the curry powder one, but something intervened and I will have to continue with that one today — however, I have three free-range chicken breasts in the 'fridge, and whilst two are destined for chicken tikka, the third will be reserved for your vindaloo (but not with chicken tikka — I prefer my chicken tikka "stand alone", wrapped in a chapati, and prefer my curries made with fresh or part-cooked chicken).  I would be interested to know why you chose to make a chicken tikka vindaloo rather than just a chicken vindaloo— in over fifty years of eating British Indian curries, I have rarely if ever seen that combination on a menu.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:39 AM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons and/or emoji that it contains.

Offline BRITISH-IAN FOOD

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 08:06 AM »
Hello Syed. I've already watched your Korma and curry powder videos. In line with other comments, I was surprised by your cooking of the powders. Normally when making Masala the whole spices are roasted but powders are added cold during blending. You had those powders smoking. Very interesting.

I was speaking to a chef out here recently, briefly, and he confused me by referring to Chilli powder as Paprika. Can you explain which you use? Is it sweet Paprika, Kashmiri Chilli powder, deggi mirch, red chilli powder or hot chilli powder?

I look forward to trying your dishes.

Ps. I see you've already attracted the attention of a few well known names,  Martin and Alex.  High praise on your base gravy.

Hi Livo,
thanks for watching my videos. I really appreciate it.

On mix curry powder I used paprika. if you use normal extra hot chilli powder it's gonna kill the other spices strength and aroma. also, you are not gonna add much chilli powder into the mix. if you have a look my curry powder video, you will see I added very less amount of paprika powder. and yes paprika is not as hot as the other ones. it is a bit sweet.

lastly, i would like to thanks martin & alex for liking my base gravy. i really glad that they have it.  :smile:

Offline BRITISH-IAN FOOD

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 08:11 AM »
Hi Syed,

Welcome to the forum!  It’s great you’re sharing your knowledge in the videos you put out on YouTube and I hope you continue doing them and also post here.  I already saw you in one of the Facebook groups, so I know you have other choices on where to share your knowledge, so I do hope you stay around here.

So I’m looking forward to seeing you stick around here and remember the phrase “water off a ducks back” when your read someone criticising your videos, because sadly it’s bound to happen!

thank you soo much chef for the great advice. i will keep it on my mind.  :smile:

©2021 Curry Recipes