Author Topic: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING  (Read 29942 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 01:16 AM »
Livo.
I would guess it takes years for a bir chef to get right the spice mix base and set of recipes .
So I believe its crucial to follow a proven set.I asked Syed why only 1/2 a teaspoon of spice mix was used he replied the spices where in the base which made sense.
Its hard to access proper chef recipes as most. Britchefs are all copying each other with the odd tweak here and there producing spice swamps
Do you know if Syed intends  to share his commercial knowledge on this forum noble ox or YouTube?
ELW

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2020, 07:55 AM »
ELW.
The answer is I dont know or would I ask such a question, which I feel would be ill-mannered .
If the forum owner wants to ask thats their choice.
I am grateful for the recipes given free ( with plenty of commercial secrets) which I transcribe for safekeeping in case youtube or this forum ever crashes forever

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2020, 12:42 PM »
Do you know if Syed intends  to share his commercial knowledge on this forum noble ox or YouTube?
ELW

Isn't he by implication of calling it BIR style already sharing his commercial knowledge? Or are you implying he's dumbing-down for the purposes of his Youtube audience?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2020, 08:02 PM »
Hi guys, I sat and watched all of the videos yesterday. I think they're fantastic... All credit to the guy for sharing these. Almost everything he did was really not that different to what I've witnessed my own chef doing in the takeaway kitchen. The mix powder method is certainly different, not seen powders roasted before and its probobly the only mix powder I've seen that doesn't actually contain curry powder. Strange too that he adds methi at the end of cooking as opposed to the beginning. Although he uses a non stick pan he does say in one of the videos that in a restaurant he uses a curry pan so the sauce caramelises. Can't wait to give his recipes a go....

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2020, 08:17 PM »
I too am very impressed with Syed's channel, JB.  Even though my first attempt at his vindaloo was a disaster, that was entirely my fault, and I have now made a full-sized batch of his base and am about to pre-cook two chicken breasts, after which I will (probably) make a simple chicken curry (or maybe a Madras).  What I like about his videos is that they are completely BS-free : no pretence, no "this is the secret that no-one else will tell you", just simple straightforward facts presented in an equally straightforward manner.  The only thing I would like which is not currently present is an on-video clock so that one can see for exactly how long things were cooked when there is a cut in the video.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2020, 08:53 PM »
The mix powder method is certainly different, not seen powders roasted before and its probobly the only mix powder I've seen that doesn't actually contain curry powder. Strange too that he adds methi at the end of cooking as opposed to the beginning.

He actually refers to his mix as "curry powder" which it is, of a sort. If he is achieving the balance he wants by doing it this way, I'm good with it. From the start of my BIR cooking I questioned curry powder as an ingredient in curry powder.

The exact opposite approach is taken by The Bengali Cook, who simply uses Rajah Curry Powder as is.

I remember reading that kasuri methi should be added later in cooking the dish as long cook time can / does cause bitterness.

I had a quick look at Syed's pre-cooked chicken yesterday. It's a bit different as well.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2020, 09:27 PM »
Cooked Syeds onion bargee today following the recipe to the word.....heaven.....true bir .
If any of you on this forum appreciate his efforts can you support him on whatever media you use as I believe he deserves it and will be appreciate it.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2020, 10:24 PM »
I quite agree, NO.  I use only Youtube, but have already left a number of comments there and am about to add one more.
** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2020, 10:31 PM »
I had made Syed's "special mixed curry powder" a few days ago, and today I made his base (full size), pre-cooked chicken and chicken curry.  The last was excellent, with a sauce that begged to be mopped up with a chapati.  I made no changes whatsoever, and my only negative is that I felt that the turmeric was a little too dominant.  Whether this means that I did not dry-roast the ground spices sufficiently, or whether I managed to get the proportions wrong, I don't yet know, but I clearly need to investigate further.  Nonetheless, a very promising start, and tomorrow it will be chicken Madras.

** Phil.

P.S. His pre-cooked chicken is excellent
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 09:18 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2020, 10:32 PM »
I had a quick look at Syed's pre-cooked chicken yesterday. It's a bit different as well.

It's almost exactly how I do mine. I'm beginning to think he can see into my mind!

However, don't precook the chicken in water as that stops the spices infusing into it. Just add it raw.

©2024 Curry Recipes