Author Topic: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING  (Read 30574 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2020, 10:36 PM »
my only negative is that I felt that the turmeric was a little too pre-dominant.

I haven't made the mix powder so say this with no real authority but when I saw the amount he added my reaction was that it was too turmeric heavy. So your supposition regarding incorrect balance of spice may be right.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2020, 10:56 PM »
The Spice Curry Powder is easily adjusted to personal preference which is why I started with smaller quantities.  However in saying that, I didn't have an issue with the turmeric levels.

From the Comments pre-cooked chicken:

I have never heard of boiling chicken to remove chemicals but I don't live in the UK.  Is that a thing over there? 

Breast meat has very little fat content and there is oil added to everything anyway so I wouldn't be worried a bout chicken fat. As Syed is passing on the method he was taught by his head chef I'd feel pretty safe with just cooking it in the pre-cook spice solution, which he says you can do if you prefer.

I'm really impressed with the no nonsense characteristics of these presentations. Thank you Syed.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2020, 11:03 PM »
One thing that I have noticed is that he really browns the ginger/garlic paste.. I mean really browns it. Almost everyone says not do this, it goes bitter etc. However this is exactly how my takeaway chef does it, almost to the point of burning. Syed does say that he soaks the garlic to prevent it burning. Again this is what I've seen first hand and how I do it, the outer skins are easier to peel off. He's certainly churning out some videos... Keep em coming Syed!!!!

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2020, 07:00 AM »

I had a quick look at Syed's pre-cooked chicken yesterday. It's a bit different as well.

Different Livo? To what?  Not to the standard BIR method ifindforu outlined on this forum many years ago.

https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7611.0

I often think the good info on this forum gets drowned out in the noise, and often the posters who know what they

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2020, 07:06 AM »
One thing that I have noticed is that he really browns the ginger/garlic paste.. I mean really browns it. Almost everyone says not do this, it goes bitter etc. However this is exactly how my takeaway chef does it, almost to the point of burning. Syed does say that he soaks the garlic to prevent it burning. Again this is what I've seen first hand and how I do it, the outer skins are easier to peel off. He's certainly churning out some videos... Keep em coming Syed!!!!

I think that toasty garlic flavour is a key one in BIR cooking.  I

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2020, 07:43 AM »

I had a quick look at Syed's pre-cooked chicken yesterday. It's a bit different as well.

Different Livo? To what?  Not to the standard BIR method ifindforu outlined on this forum many years ago.

https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7611.0

I often think the good info on this forum gets drowned out in the noise, and often the posters who know what they
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 09:35 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2020, 09:17 AM »
It is different in that in the first stage it is boiled in plain water till cooked. IFFU uses Tumaric and doesn't fully cook it.  Look at others, Misty Ricardo for example.  What are you suggesting Donald Brasco?  I don't consider my comment that it is a "bit different" to be noise. 

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2020, 09:38 AM »
I don't consider my comment that it is a "bit different" to be noise.

Probably a difference between British and Australian English.  We Britons make considerable use of meiosis, so "a bit different" can mean "as different as you could possibly imagine".  Australians, on the other hand, probably call a spade a spade, so when you say "a bit" different that's all you mean

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2020, 11:04 AM »
This probably also explains why Syed's head chef said that pre-boiling is important, to remove the nasties that the Brasilians have injected ...

Ah yes it all makes sense now. I do use cheap chicken for curries and occasionally also use it just boiled up in stock for chicken sandwiches. And it does indeed exude repulsive looking white, gelatinous blobs from the ingredients contained in the injected solution which makes up 20% of the weight. The stuff's not poisonous it just looks nasty. But I stand by my point that if you're using quality chicken that hasn't been injected you should add it raw to enable the spicing to penetrate better.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2020, 11:18 AM »
This probably also explains why Syed's head chef said that pre-boiling is important, to remove the nasties that the Brasilians have injected ...

Ah yes it all makes sense now. I do use cheap chicken for curries and occasionally also use it just boiled up in stock for chicken sandwiches. And it does indeed exude repulsive looking white, gelatinous blobs from the ingredients contained in the injected solution which makes up 20% of the weight.

Which, knowing no better, and wanting not to waste any part of the flavour of the chicken, I poured back in when Syed's recipe called for warm water ...
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes