Author Topic: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING  (Read 30305 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: BRITISH-IAN FOOD IN THE MAKING
« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2020, 10:27 AM »
The syntax is [url=long and complex real URL]simple string[/url].  As opposed to the [img] element, the syntax of which is [img]long and complex real URL[/img].  Nothing like consistency, is there ?!

** Phil.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 01:00 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2020, 12:32 PM »
for the life of me I cannot get that txt file to convert to .xlsx.  Tried Save As, tried simple renaming,

I just downloaded it and saved it as the text file. I then renamed it with the .xlsx suffix and it immediately opened in Excel. So easy, thanks to Phil's clever workaround! Have you got it working yet?

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2020, 02:22 PM »
Thanks George, I did.   Gave Phil my email and just got it there.

Robbo

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2020, 02:40 PM »
I wonder whether, if I were to save and upload it as "Comparison.xlsx.txt", Ipad users could just strip off the last four characters when presented with a "Save as: " dialogue box. Assuming, of course, that Ipad users are presented with any such thing ... Trial attachment herewith.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:54 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2020, 03:07 PM »
Nope, don

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2020, 11:34 AM »
The one thing that did go to plan was the dry-roasting of the powdered spices.  I use his measures (unscaled) but used chef's spoons as the metric rather than tablespoons, and found that in practice two of my chef's spoonsful  were equal to six dessertspoonsful, not 12 tablespoonsful
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:56 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2020, 10:20 PM »
I made a bone-in chicken staff curry last night and decided to use Syed's powder. It's the first curry in a few weeks and the first time using this powder in the dish. My sample taste gave me the same feeling Phil. Tonight it will be dinner so it will be the test for me to determine it's suitability to application in a staff curry. I imagine it will be better for the 24 hour rest.

I would need to make a batch of his gravy and dishes to assess the potency issue.  Maybe next week.

Addendum;  No problem with using the powder for the dish but I will agree that it is time to dry roast a new batch.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 12:28 PM by livo »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2020, 09:08 PM »
Not having time today to roast a new batch, I instead substituted Mrs Balbir Singh's Shahi chicken masala for 'Syed's special mix (roasted) curry powder' in his (Syed's) basic chicken curry, and the results were very pleasing.  I think that Syed's recipes and methods are excellent, but there can be no harm in experimenting with variations to my mind.  One thing that I always do when (almost) following his recipes is to add the spices before the dilute tomato pur

©2024 Curry Recipes