Author Topic: Syed dry-fried mix powder  (Read 23324 times)

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Syed dry-fried mix powder
« on: May 31, 2020, 06:53 PM »
I

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Syed dry-fried mix powder
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 07:08 PM »
I'm planning to make it myself, Jon, using Syed's recipe, but I don't have a non-stick wok.  I have to investigate what suitable pans I might have tucked away somewhere.  OK, turns out that I do :  a set of three Aldi/Lidl "Ilag"-coated pans
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:30 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 08:43 PM »
This process has me intrigued and slightly worried at the same time.  In every set of instructions I've ever read about roasting spices and making curry powders the whole spices are dry roasted, but never the powders.  I'm going to make it today but I'll do a half size for first attempt, although watching it done showed that it was able to withstand some cooking. I was amazed to see it still smoking in the storage tin.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 08:48 PM »
Well, there's a fair amount of turmeric in it, Livo, and there is no way you can ever dry-roast whole turmeric, since it exists only as a root (rhizome), not as a seed.  Anyhow, the quantities involved aren't going to break even my rather limited bank, so I'm all for giving it a go. 

** Phil.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:13 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 09:52 PM »
I'm very interested to hear what comes of this.

Whole spices are roasted to change the flavour profile. There is chemistry at work with new flavour compounds being created as volatile flavour compounds are released and recombine. I've never heard anyone doing this with powdered spices.

But just because I don't understand it doesn't mean it isn't right or better certainly:-).

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:07 PM by romain »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 10:29 PM »
So what Herbie is saying pretty well confirms my feelings that a mixed powder made in this way will be for immediate, or at best, short term use.  I'll experiment with greatly reduced quantity.  I'd say you should use the small pan Phil.  It would be good to hear from Syed on this.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 10:43 PM »
I'm not saying this is in any way wrong but I'd like to know why he roasts the powders this way. I've seen many real BIR chefs showing their mix powders and not one has ever done this. Is it because they want to keep a secret or because they feel it's not necessary?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 10:58 PM »
I think the answer could be in his dialogue in the Korma video SS.   He comments that the dish won't be bland due to the spice mix used in the base gravy then transferred to the dish (along those lines anyway).  I think it is all about intensifying the flavour from that powder.

I need to do this whole process for myself to see if it does transfer across.  The version I made, not using the roasted spices and his gravy , was bland.  It was by no means bad and was easily remedied but I'll be looking for a marked improvement using the complete method.

This may be the perfect illustration of needing to use a whole matched method and set rather than mixing it all up.

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 07:32 AM »
One of the reasons it intrigues me so, is it seems to me that achieving the characteristic BIR flavour -

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 07:54 AM »
I made this mix. about 2 weeks ago it still is fresh with same aromas so shelf life is ok.
Only 1/2 teaspoon used at final cooking was unexpected as most recipes use anything between 4 or 7 teaspoons less is more in this case.
The base gravy uses minimal spices ........but as a whole cooking method the recipe if followed works yes bir smells in the kitchen.
This is not quantum particle physics........try it then if dont like it that would make sense you owe it to your taste buds and long suffering readers of this forum.

©2024 Curry Recipes