Author Topic: Syed dry-fried mix powder  (Read 23310 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Syed dry-fried mix powder
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 08:32 AM »
Thats what I did last night. Made up a smaller raw batch and dry roasted it in a small pan first - just enough for 2 portions. Closest to BIR aroma and taste I have ever got to after all these years. I don't normally post on Forums, I just lurk in the background ! However, this dry roasting of the powdered spices is a revelation for me and I just had to give feedback

Many thanks for reporting, Hugo
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:11 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Ive got a tub of chilli powder in the cupboard, i looked at the label to see what chillies were in it (Schwartz) only to find it contains Chilli pepper, Paprika,Cumin,Oregano,and Garlic Powder. all the label on the front states is CHILLI POWDER, what is that all about.

If you check their coriander its probably got methi in it as well

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 11:37 AM »
In fact, their ground coriander is uncontaminated (albeit pricy, unless you buy their catering-size jars).  The confusion arises from the fact that in British English (don't know about American) "chilli powder" often refers to the blend of spices used to make a chilli con carne, which is why I always refer to the pure spice in its powder form as "ground chillies".  Anyhow, your own fault for using Schwartz instead of TRS/East End/Rajah/Shan/Laziza/Mehran/whatever, or even Mrs Balbir Singh's !

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 03:45 PM »
Just to be pedantic the spices are heated in a non stick pan to smoking point and NOT fried

Which raises two points (at least):

1. Non stick coatings give off extremely noxious gases when overheated. Therefore:
2. For safety only heat large quantities of spice powders in a non-stick pan to ensure the "safe" temperature of the pan is not exceeded - as Syed demonstrated (and even then I'm a bit dubious).

And I assume, having not tried it, that there is an actual reason for doing it in a non-stick pan. Presumably they burn or stick in an uncoated pan?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 03:49 PM »
"chilli powder" often refers to the blend of spices used to make a chilli con carne...

They should label it chilli con carne mix or such like then. I never buy Schwartz spices but it would never occur to me that chilli powder implied spice blend for a chill con carne.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2020, 05:37 PM »
They should label it chilli con carne mix or such like then. I never buy Schwartz spices but it would never occur to me that chilli powder implied spice blend for a chill con carne.

Then be very careful next time you go shipping, Santa.  You now know about Schwartz, but do you know about Tesco Hot Chilli Powder (Hot chilli powder - a blend of chillies, cumin, garlic and oregano), Tesco Mild Chilli Powder (the same), Sainsbury's Hot Chilli Powder (Chilli Powder (93%), Cumin, Garlic, Oregano), Sainsbury's Mild Chilli Powder (the same), etc.

If you're going to buy supermarket "chilli powder", probably best to stick to Morrisons, which is the real thing.

** Phil.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 06:24 PM »

Thats what I did last night. Made up a smaller raw batch and dry roasted it in a small pan first - just enough for 2 portions. Closest to BIR aroma and taste I have ever got to after all these years. I dont notmally post on Forums, I just lurk in the background ! However, this dry roasting of the powdered spices is a revelation for me and I just had to give feedback  :evil:

Hugoboss,

When you make curries do you typically fry (/bloom/tadka - whatever you want to call it) your powdered in oil before adding any liquid in the pan? Or do you first add some form of liquid (tomato or base etc) and then add the powdered spices?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2020, 08:27 PM »
Then be very careful next time you go shipping, Santa.  You now know about Schwartz, but do you know about Tesco Hot Chilli Powder (Hot chilli powder - a blend of chillies, cumin, garlic and oregano), Tesco Mild Chilli Powder (the same), Sainsbury's Hot Chilli Powder (Chilli Powder (93%), Cumin, Garlic, Oregano), Sainsbury's Mild Chilli Powder (the same), etc.

If you're going to buy supermarket "chilli powder", probably best to stick to Morrisons, which is the real thing.

** Phil.

I don't buy spices from supermarkets unless it's the usual suspects such as TRS, Rajah etc. But it is indeed an eye opener that "chilli powder" can be interpreted in this way.

Offline Hugoboss

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 08:40 PM »

Thats what I did last night. Made up a smaller raw batch and dry roasted it in a small pan first - just enough for 2 portions. Closest to BIR aroma and taste I have ever got to after all these years. I dont notmally post on Forums, I just lurk in the background ! However, this dry roasting of the powdered spices is a revelation for me and I just had to give feedback  :evil:

Hugoboss,

When you make curries do you typically fry (/bloom/tadka - whatever you want to call it) your powdered in oil before adding any liquid in the pan? Or do you first add some form of liquid (tomato or base etc) and then add the powdered spices?

My "standard" sequence Romain is :
Oil/ghee plus occasional whole spices
Garlic and/or ginger
Watered down tomato puree
Dried spices
Base gravy

Love your website by the way. Great presentation.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 08:58 PM »
Mine is more-or-less the reverse
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:18 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes