Author Topic: Syed dry-fried mix powder  (Read 8255 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
  • Blessèd are those with an open mind ...
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hôi~An Restaurant
Re: Syed dry-fried mix powder
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2020, 09:23 AM »
Does anyone here know the molecular structure of 1/2 tspn of garam masala ?
Or the maths equation to caramelise an onion ?
I dont have a clue or care at all. But I like to spend time cooking and enjoying a curry

By his own admission, the defendant is guilty of the most heinous heresy, and this court therefore finds him guilty as charged and sentences him to be hanged (for 28 days, to ensure that his meat is tender), drawn (he may have the guts to say what he thinks, but we don't need to eat those guts) and quartered.  After which he will be marinated in Patak's Tandoori Paste (no point in wasting the decent stuff like Laziza on him), skewered (something much thicker than 8mm skewers are indicated here — 50cm should ensure that his eyes water as inserted) and finally roasted in the tandoor until done.  Never let it be said that this forum would let a decent heretic go to waste !
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:49 AM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons and/or emoji that it contains.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2020, 11:42 AM »
I didn't say I agreed. Just the messenger.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2020, 11:54 AM »
I dont have a clue or care at all. But I like to spend time cooking and enjoying a curry

No, but even Syed said fresh Garam Masala is better than store bought. Fortunately, I made fresh.

There is no secret.  I spent all day in the kitchen. It is done. No missing 5%. No secret ingredient (although I did use the coriander root). This man has given it up to everybody  and anybody who cares to follow instructions.

Best curries I've ever cooked, without a doubt. Syed's base gravy, roasted powder, Chicken Tikka and the rest is easy.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2020, 12:24 PM »
Well done, Livo.  So two questions — what volume of chilli paste, what dilution of tomato purée ?
** Phil.
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons and/or emoji that it contains.

Online Secret Santa

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2020, 03:43 PM »
what dilution of tomato purée ?
** Phil.

I always wonder why dilute at all? Why not just use half the amount of puree, assuming a 1:1 dilution?
Fighting for truth, justice and the BIR way!

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2020, 04:23 PM »

No, but even Syed said fresh Garam Masala is better than store bought. Fortunately, I made fresh.

There is no secret.  I spent all day in the kitchen. It is done. No missing 5%. No secret ingredient (although I did use the coriander root). This man has given it up to everybody  and anybody who cares to follow instructions.

Best curries I've ever cooked, without a doubt. Syed's base gravy, roasted powder, Chicken Tikka and the rest is easy.

That’s good news  :like:

Now all we need is a volunteer who will transcribe the recipes into written form in the appropriate categories in the “recipes” section of this forum (with the blessing of Britishian of course), so that if the videos ever disappear, or YouTube goes to a paywall model, we can still refer to them.

An enthusiastic curator who will create an index post pointing to links of them all as a recipe set would also be a nice touch, if anyone should have the time and inclination.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2020, 05:33 PM »
Excellent idea, and I am happy to volunteer to maintain the index as it will need to be updatable in perpetuity, something that only a moderator or Admin can do.  But first, let's seek Syed's permission.

** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2020, 05:34 PM »
I always wonder why dilute at all? Why not just use half the amount of puree, assuming a 1:1 dilution?

I can answer that with the benefit of recent (unfortunate) first-hand experience.  Undilute tomato purée just doesn't flow easily when added to a mixture of butter ghee, oil, garlic and onion [Chicken tikka vindaloo, 03:46], and you end up with lumps of the stuff rather than the start of a sauce.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:03 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2020, 01:58 AM »
Well done, Livo.  So two questions — what volume of chilli paste, what dilution of tomato purée ?
** Phil.

Question 1: Which dish or supplement recipe has the Chilli Paste Phil?  I didn't come across it. 

I made;
1) Single quantity of Tikka Marinade for the 1 kg of Chicken Tikka.
2) Half quantity of his heated Spice Curry Powder. (6 TBSP : 3 TBSP: 3 TBSP : 1/2 tsp : 1/2 tsp) (50/50 RCP / Paprika so 1/4 tsp each)
3) Half quantity of base gravy (linear scaled and perfectly fine). (2 large and 1 medium onion probably 600 g. Everything else half.)
4) BIR Style Tikka Masala Base.
5) Pre-cooked vegetables with extra potatoes.
6) Butter Chicken. (Use Chicken Tikka)
7) Chicken Tikka Masala. (Use Chicken Tikka)
8) Chicken Pasanda. (Use Chicken Tikka)
9) Vegetable Pasanda. Onion, capsicum, mixed frozen vegetables, spicy fried okra. (This turned out to be a big bowl full.)
10) Chicken Madras. (Used pre-cooked chicken of my own as Syed hadn't yet posted one.)
11) Mango Chicken (Pre-cooked chicken for this as well. The others all used the Tikka.)
11) Bombay Aloo (I winged it on this one as he doesn't have a recipe posted but it was good).
12) I still had the last of his Pilau Rice and some Korma.
13) I cheated on the naan and used frozen Deep brand tandoori naan.

As much as possible was made directly from Syed's youtube channel to spec.

Note: I only had enough base gravy for one more dish after cooking all of the above.

Question 2: As for the tomato puree dilution, there is always going to be a question.  Syed's maths is a little bit out in the one place where it is mentioned which is the Butter Chicken video.  He says to use 6 TBSP of diluted tomato puree which he gets by using 2 TBSP of puree and 5 TBSP of hot water.  I imagine he meant to write 2 TBSP puree in 4 TBSP hot water.  The question is whether the original (undiluted puree) is double or triple concentrate. Out here we call it Tomato Paste and Puree is not a concentrate at all.  I think you would be pretty safe to go with a non-concentrated mix so either use passata, single puree or dilute the concentrate down by the appropriate amount to make it single.  I had some left over cherry tomatoes so I wizzed them up in the Nutri-bullet and used them as part of the amount for the Base Gravy and it didn't hurt it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:22 AM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2020, 02:07 AM »
Now all we need is a volunteer who will transcribe the recipes into written form in the appropriate categories in the “recipes” section of this forum (with the blessing of Britishian of course), so that if the videos ever disappear, or YouTube goes to a paywall model, we can still refer to them.

An enthusiastic curator who will create an index post pointing to links of them all as a recipe set would also be a nice touch, if anyone should have the time and inclination.

Some of the videos already have written ingredients and Syed is planning on doing more. You can see he has been very busy with what he's already put up.  A mammoth effort so far.

©2021 Curry Recipes