Author Topic: French chef uses stainless steel fork, prongs down, in non-stick skillet  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1XoCQm5JSQ

Presumably professional non-stick skillets have rather more robust surfaces than the consumer variety !

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
My daughter must have taken lessons at the same school.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
I believe some of the Scanpan brand of nonstick cookware can be used with metal tools but they are quite expensive.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Sort of related, I watched a Youtube video the other day where a lady "non-sticks" her stainless steel pan. She fried the green parts of spring onions in the pan until they browned and voil

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Sort of related, I watched a Youtube video the other day where a lady "non-sticks" her stainless steel pan. She fried the green parts of spring onions in the pan until they browned and voil

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I've seen something similar SS. I think it was done with a cut onion.  I'm actually annoyed that my plain steel tawa, bought deliberately as not non-stick, has seasoned to an almost non-stick surface.  I can usually get my first naan to stick but subsequent attempts fall off when inverted. I might need to take to it with a wire brush on the angle grinder or let my daughter use it for eggs.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Tandoor, Ranjit Rai, p.~48 :  "A certain amount of curing is necessary before the tandoor is fired for the first time.  A good new tandoor should be smooth from the inside.  Green leaves, usually spinach, are used to coat the inside walls.  After a day, a mixture of buttermilk or khatti lassi, oil and salt is rubbed all over the inner walls and left overnight.  This curing prevents the rotis and other breads from sticking to the walls of the tandoor when being cooked".

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
 I knew there was something else.  Apparently, after seasoning, cleaning (rubbing) the hot pan with the oiled stalk of a pumpkin helps to clean the surface of residue. Then further rubbing the pan with a cut onion restores the non-stick surface.

This is demonstrated on cast iron but apparently the same applies to both stainless and plain steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx_v01hO-BA

Or you could give a plate the same treatment as my plain steel tawa that has rendered it completely non-stick.

What would be the solution to a non-stick plain steel tawa that you actually want to be sticky?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:10 AM by livo »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
What would be the solution to a non-stick plain steel tawa that you actually want to be sticky?

Encourage it to go rusty ?  I imagine that the pitting that will result from rusting followed by the gentle removal thereof might create a surface that is more amenable to having egg (etc) stick to it ...

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile

A good scrub with steel wool and baking soda would roughen and de-grease.

©2024 Curry Recipes