Author Topic: The Elusive Adil's Balti  (Read 9298 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
The Elusive Adil's Balti
« on: June 08, 2020, 12:17 PM »
I haven't been to Adil's Birmingham for some time.  I miss it.  I would say in the past Adil's can/have made the finest authentic balti, period.  However, I sometimes think what sways me to make such a claim is the strange and wonderful aroma from their baltis.  It sets their dishes apart from all the competition.  I and others have described it as "perfume", "floral", etc. 

I still don't know what it is exactly, but am revisiting the "attar", where I have long suspected the answer lies.  At least two attars we are already familiar with, rose and kewra.  Both of these can be used in cooking, but they are not the secret of the Adil's balti. There are many others though, loads of them. A needle in a haystack, but who knows, one day.  More thought and a bit of luck.

Rob :)

https://m.economictimes.com/magazines/panache/food-drinks/western-chefs-are-turning-scent-composers-but-indian-cuisine-has-always-recognised-its-importance/articleshow/68335423.cms

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Elusive Adil's Balti
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 04:18 PM »
Many years ago now, when I first tried kewra water, I was surprised that I recognised the smell, which is quite pungent. Then I realised it was the smell of the hot towels they hand you at the end of the meal. Do they still do that ... been so long since I've been to a restaurant I'm out of date?

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 06:15 PM »
My last visit to a restaurant was about three years ago.  We did get a hot towel, in sealed plastic, and an After Eight mint, which was very good.  But earlier my vindaloo was served in a white pasta dish.  Even worse, the garlic naan arrived pre-cut into triangles like a pizza.  Disgraceful.

I've got 30 ml of Royal Mughlai Meetha Attar sitting in my Amazon basket.  Sounds like the daddy!  If anyone has already tried this please let me know, so I don't waste my money.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Better buy it quick, Rob

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 10:03 PM »
The Royal Mughlai Meetha arrived today, but I wasn't in.  Back at work, finally.  Arranged Royal Mail re-delivery for Saturday.  Very excited.  The logic being that whilst it may (not) be the Adil aroma, it could still be very good, or even better.  Will need to make some base gravy.  Looking forward.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 10:14 PM »
Jolly good, Rob 

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 05:10 AM »
Arrrr...............Adils! We haven't been there since before Christmas although it used to be our weekly Saturday night treat to spend a couple of hours there. A couple of days after Christmas we went off to Goa for three months and were caught up in the lockdown and were eventually evacuated by the British Government. Strange days we're living in. In the meantime we make do with my home made contributions but like you, yearn for that 'smell and taste of Adils and chat to Aftab.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 03:20 PM »
I've got 30 ml of Royal Mughlai Meetha Attar sitting in my Amazon basket.

Did you ever try this and form a view on it's potential? I'd never heard of it before reading your post here but have now ordered some on amazon - expensive compared to kewra and rose waters. Thank you so much for bringing it to everyone's attention.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 04:20 PM »
... have now ordered some on amazon - expensive compared to kewra and rose waters.

You're not kidding!

I wonder though, at the price of
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 04:38 PM by Secret Santa »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 06:05 PM »
I'd love to know if it's the missing aroma from pilau rice that I am still trying to obtain.

The "missing aroma" is not missing from Syed's pilau, Santa

©2024 Curry Recipes