Author Topic: The Elusive Adil's Balti  (Read 9254 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Elusive Adil's Balti
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 07:45 PM »
I'd love to know if it's the missing aroma from pilau rice that I am still trying to obtain.

The "missing aroma" is not missing from Syed's pilau, Santa

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 08:12 PM »
Well, I only have to lift the lid off one of the two 650ml T/A containers that I filled with Syed's pulao rice after first making it to get that aroma.  Like you, it is not something I have previously been able to achieve, but now it is there, "loud and clear".

** Phil.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 08:18 PM »
I haven't been to Adil's Birmingham for some time.  I miss it.  I would say in the past Adil's can/have made the finest authentic balti, period. 

Thank you, also, for recommending Adil's. I am hoping to visit it in October, if the lockdown regulations are not tightened again.

I've only been to the Balti triangle once, if that's where it's located. Two years ago, I used google to find the rough area, walked around a bit, and then enjoyed a balti at Shababs on Ladypool Road. It wasn't bad but maybe Adil's is better.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 01:17 PM »
My amazon order for 100ml Meetha Attar arrived today and I'm encouraged by the feint whiff when I opened the packet. It's not leaking, as such but a trace may have got out. Like secret santa with kewra water, I thought the aroma seemed familiar but it could be from around 25 years ago when I enjoyed some meals in India and the Middle East. I must compare it with kewra water. If they are based on the same source elements, maybe the Meetha Attar is somehow superior a bit like you can buy different qualities of vanilla. It's not the aroma of BIR pilau rice but it could be useful in biriani, korma and some other dishes.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 01:33 PM »
I must compare it with kewra water. If they are based on the same source elements, maybe the Meetha Attar is somehow superior ...

My brief Googling suggested that the meetha attar is the concentrated screwpine oil from which kewra water is made. Really all it means is that instead of adding a glug of kewra water you would instead add a few drops of the meetha attar.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 06:57 PM »
Secret Santa - where did you read that meetha attar is from screwpine oil?  I just found a youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMUm5149QVk

...where several ingredients are listed including kewra, rose, saffron and cardamons. If so, it's more like a blend based on someone's recipe, or perhaps various brands vary, somewhat like garam masala.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 07:18 PM »
Meetha itr, literally

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 09:01 PM »
Secret Santa - where did you read that meetha attar is from screwpine oil?  I just found a youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMUm5149QVk

...where several ingredients are listed including kewra, rose, saffron and cardamons. If so, it's more like a blend based on someone's recipe, or perhaps various brands vary, somewhat like garam masala.

I think you may be right George. I can't find the sources I used when I first Googled but having another look around it seems there's no one answer and it may be that each manufacturer is slightly different. Kewra essence did seem to be a constant though. But what did seem to crop up many times was the rubbishing of most of the brands as being inauthentic. In particular one web site said stay away from Amazon! I am interested to see what you make of your comparison of it to actual kewra water.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 10:11 PM »
Secret Santa - I too am keen to compare the expensive 100ml of attar bought on amazon with relatively low cost Kewra water. I need to buy a new bottle of kewra water but when I smelled kewra water before, the aroma was minimal, whereas the aroma from the attar is superb. I think Bob may have been on to something and it was good of him to start this thread. But he hasn't logged in since his last post on 17 June.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 04:50 PM »
... when I smelled kewra water before, the aroma was minimal ...

Well that's strange. My bottle of KTC kewra water is well over a year old and yet it is still very pungent. Also, do you get any familiar aroma from the meethi attar or is it entirely new to you?

©2024 Curry Recipes