Author Topic: The Elusive Adil's Balti  (Read 9151 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Elusive Adil's Balti
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2020, 10:43 PM »
Phil - thank you for quoting that web page. I'm probably trying to run before I can walk. I'm now going to keep the expensive Meera Attar sealed until I get a feel for the impact of the related but much lower cost Keera and Rose waters. I like Biryani so will make that my practice vehicle. I wonder how many BIRs use Keera and Rose water in their Biryani.

Here's the youtube video I mentioned. He adds two lots of big squirts of Kewra and Rose waters. I tried to estimate the quantity when I typed up the recipe. It's quite a large quantity of Biryani but a lot more than a few drops:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XGKjloyL48
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:20 PM by George »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2020, 12:22 PM »
He gives the amount in the closed captions, George.  10ml, seen at https://youtu.be/9XGKjloyL48?t=175.  And that is for 1kg of mutton, or (roughly) enough for 4

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2020, 08:21 AM »
G@d knows how much he adds in total !

You could perhaps ask him, as a question related to the video.  I take the visual information as the most useful indicator in youtube recipes. Text information or verbal descriptions often don't tally. So the text guidance, in your earlier quote, to use a few drops, might actually be a few splashes in practice - vastly more. As you say, who knows? That's why I want to find out for myself. Another example - cooks often say to add a pinch of salt but I see them adding more like 5ml or even 10ml.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2020, 10:35 AM »
George

youve derailed this thread. The subject is Balti not Biryani

Regards

Mick

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2020, 12:13 PM »
I don't think that's entirely fair, Mick
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:35 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2020, 07:23 PM »
youve derailed this thread. The subject is Balti not Biryani

By commenting like that, I suggest you derailed the forum when you joined.

You can hop off as far as I'm concerned.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2020, 09:57 AM »
If there is general consensus that the thread should be split into "Balti" and "Attar", I would be more than happy to do that.

I don't think it's necessary but, if you did, we'd end up with only 2 or 3 posts about Balti and something like 3 pages on Attar. A better idea might be to change the thread title to "Attar". The mickdabass comment was wholly inappropriate because this thread was never really about Balti.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2020, 10:31 AM »
There is really only one person whose opinion counts here, and that is Bengali Bob, since it is he who started the thread.  His introductory post was very specifically about Adil's balti, so changing the thread title would be completely wrong, IMHO. 

Rob, would you prefer it to remain as one thread (called "The Elusive Adil's Balti"), or be split into two :  "The Elusive Adil's Balti", and "Meetha attar and its uses" ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:59 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes