Author Topic: Syed base gravy  (Read 17674 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Syed base gravy
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2020, 12:03 PM »
I think that if one were to use unroasted spices, one would have to cook for longer.  I am planning to ask Syed exactly why the spices are pre-roasted, but I am assuming that the underlying idea is to facilitate the production of restaurant-quality food in the shortest time possible.

Below, Syed's base, day 3, after a 2-hour gentle re-heat (no re-heat yesterday).  Depth measured before and after re-heating using a cream-coloured plastic chopstick and boiling water added to compensate for evaporation loss.  The apparent colour shift is just an artifact

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2020, 06:04 PM »
I would imagine the flavour is also affected by the significantly different proportion of carrot. I would accept potato is a thickening ingredient, but the carrot is there for flavour.  It will be interesting to see how you find a finished curry compares with this version, if you should wish to make one of those you

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2020, 10:31 PM »
I would say, with no false modesty, that today's "basic chicken curry" was about as good as one could get.

Good to hear. So what extra, or different flavours, are you looking for in a madras, beyond extra chili for greater heat? I note you weren't as keen on his madras recipe.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2020, 10:35 PM »
I really wish I knew, George.  As I said (probably in another thread), the new T/A in Bodmin, Ganesha, does a superb Madras which I would love to be able to emulate.  It, too, is lightly spiced, but it is without doubt different to the curry that I cooked tonight.  The only way in which I will get closer is to have both in the house at the same time, ideally both cooked at about the same time before I sample then, and then try to work with my wife (who is good at identifying flavours) what is missing in mine that is in Ganesha's, or what is in mine that is not in Ganesha's.

** Phil.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2020, 05:37 PM »
Much better base and results than from those who harvested recipes from this and other forums now claiming to be curry Gods
LOL, they know who they are!

https://youtu.be/ZfHx8VCYRNk

He
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:54 PM by curryhell »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2020, 11:19 AM »
I have today boned out 3 chickens and defrosted 1.0 kg of Lamb shank meat.  1 kg of Syed's Tikka marinating now and base gravy for 5 or 6 curries planned for tomorrow.  Another big curry day in the kitchen, but I haven't done one in a while.  I might do some chips as well.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:31 AM by livo »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2020, 01:19 PM »
O.T. reply moved to "Off-topic replies".

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2020, 04:39 PM »
I'm going to make Syed's base in bulk soon; haven't done a load for a while (got slightly diverted via, err, Italian and French), need to spice up the wife life. That basic chicken curry sounds good, Phil, is the recipe on here?*

*On edit: Just realised it's linked about five times on this page!

Further edit: Actually, no: the links are to the discussion page which is sans recipe, and the YouTube page doesn't make it clear which curry is the basic chicken... can you advise, Phil?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:00 PM by Onions »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2020, 07:20 PM »
Fairly sure that the recipe is not published here (for copyright reasons), but I have prepared transcripts of the 20 or so videos [1] which were of greatest interest to me, so I could let you have a transcript of his base recipe and his basic chicken curry recipe by PM, if those would be of interest ?

** Phil.
--------
[1]
Syed's aloo pakora (in prep).docx
Syed's base (gravy, garabi).docx
Syed's basic chicken curry.docx
Syed's bhuna chicken.docx
Syed's Bombay aloo.docx
Syed's chicken liver curry.docx
Syed's chicken Madras.docx
Syed's chicken shashlik.docx
Syed's chicken tikka vindaloo.docx
Syed's chicken tikka.docx
Syed's garlic+ginger paste.docx
Syed's Kashmiri on-the-bone chicken dhansak (family pot).docx
Syed's king prawn bhuna.docx
Syed's lamb dhansak.docx
Syed's mint sauce.docx
Syed's nargis kebab (in prep).docx
Syed's onion bhaji.docx
Syed's pilao rice.docx
Syed's pre-cooked chicken.docx
Syed's Rajahstani laal maas.docx
Syed's seekh kebabs.docx
Syed's special mix (roasted) curry powder.docx
Syed's tandoori chicken.docx

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2020, 07:31 PM »
Of course, copyright. I'd really appreciate it, Phil, if you could. You've done that for me previously I know, I think it's extremely generous of you to go to the trouble of transcribing and then to share your efforts. Cheers!

©2024 Curry Recipes