Author Topic: Syed base gravy  (Read 17665 times)

Offline seekingcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Syed base gravy
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2022, 01:31 PM »
I've not posted here in years, although I  do still grab recipes from here. Looking for a different base I stumbled across this thread and gave it a try. Not sure how accurately I followed it as I flicked through the video and basically followed the rough method in the description. Didn't cook it for very long after adding spices, perhaps 10 minutes. Still, making (again, roughly) his Jalfrezi recipe and the result was excellent, by a margin the best I have ever produced and closest to what I'm looking for, appreciating we're all looking for something different.

Whilst I have made some great curries from bases posted here, as often as not I find there is a bit of an acrid taste, which I have always put down to boiling onions (I would never boil onions without having fried them first in any other cooking). This method removes that and will definitely be how I approach things in future.

'service onions' from the Jalfrezi recipe is also a revelation.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2022, 07:26 AM »
the result was excellent, by a margin the best I have ever produced and closest to what I'm looking for, appreciating we're all looking for something different....I would never boil onions without having fried them first in any other cooking)...'service onions' from the Jalfrezi recipe is also a revelation.

Interesting, thanks. Did you roast the spice? I agree with you about frying onions before adding water. Do you mean you used Syed's service onion recipe for adding to the the Jalfrezi? Your feedback means I will probably try the Jalfrezi recipe, too.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2022, 11:49 PM »
Syed’s service onions and also his tomato purée recipe are nailed on staples for me now. I remember when he first came online and have made a lot of his recipes. His chicken tikka marinade is also my default.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2022, 10:28 PM »
Syed’s service onions and also his tomato purée recipe are nailed on staples for me now. I remember when he first came online and have made a lot of his recipes. His chicken tikka marinade is also my default.

Robbo

:like:  I agree completely.  His tikka recipe is no fuss, great result.

Offline seekingcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2022, 12:55 PM »
YEs I used his Jalfrezi method, but just made up the spices in my usual fashion. Was great.

I've not been able to find his Tikka recipe - could someone point me in the right direction?

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2022, 01:57 PM »
Seekingcurry is this what your after.

https://youtu.be/fS7LQpFsTeo.

Regards Pap rika.

Offline seekingcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2022, 04:22 PM »
Thanks. That's essentially my current method / recipe, except I add a decent amount of ground green cardamon which I find adds a great flavour to Tikka.

For anyone interested, we have a Neff oven with various cooking elements all over the shop. My method is to skewer the chicken and suspend over a deep oven tray so the chicken isn't touching a surface, then cook on the circo roast setting which basically is fan oven plus it kicks the grill element in and out which provides the browning/charring without burning before the meat is cooked through. I expect preheating the oven and then switching to grill would provide a similar effect. I find the chicken ends up much more like what you would expect from a tandoor than when it's cooked in a pan or even sat on an oven tray.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2022, 10:06 PM »
I loved my Neff oven when I had one. I moved house and had to get a free-standing, dual-fuel cooker (which Neff don't do). I miss it  :cry:

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2022, 01:20 PM »
We had a Neff, now we have two Siemens ovens, if cooking indoors i also use thermo grill with chicken on skewers large chunks 6 mins per side at 300deg c, slight charring.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2022, 02:24 PM »
Is a "thermo grill" anything like a "Tepro (steak) grill", Micky ?
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 02:36 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes