Author Topic: Celiac disease  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Celiac disease
« on: June 20, 2020, 09:23 AM »
Hi folks,been away for all sorts of reasons as you'll see.
Were coping with the big C all sorts of arthritis and operations on broken bones,now another member of the family has Coeliac disease.
Since hes a curry lover as all of us,an looking for recipes to stop him drooling over our curries whilst eating his GF bread.
Help would be appreciated,thanks.
Geoff

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Celiac disease
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 11:16 AM »
Very sorry to learn of all the health problems, Geoff, especially the big C, but no direct experience of cooking for someone with c

Offline bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 03:03 PM »
Ho Geoff, I don't have Ceoliac but I am allergic to wheat. I have to read every label - spices and spice blends are often cut with flour as an anti caking / bulking agent.

The easiest takeaway (sorry) from my experiences is to read all labels, and to equip yourself with the names of things derived from gluten containing grains.

There's also the issue of "cross reactions" to things which do not contain gluten, but still trigger the immune system response as if they were. This is a huge subject that I cannot give any advice on, it's just something I have read about.

So long as you make your own spice blends, from whole spices, and use a dedicated grinder that is only ever used to grind whole spices, you should be able to avoid triggering any health nasties for the Ceoliac in your life.

Good luck.

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 09:50 PM »
Hi bham curry,thanks for your pretty informed reply,haven't really thought about checking the spices to that degree.I think we've been pretty lucky in preparing his curries at the moment.The diagnosis is only three months new,so we're scratching around at the moment and have had to buy GF free curries from the shops,which in this present time is quite difficult.
Have seen a few recipes which will have to have a go at,they look quite interesting a d well informed too.
Cheers for the information Geoff

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Hi Phil,good to see you still up and running,thanks for your interest.It's all rather new,diagnosis was only three months ago.
In this present climate it's rather difficult to purchase what is needed,and have had to settle mainly for GF goods and hope.Any information I can get will let you know,thanks.
Geoff

Offline bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 10:45 PM »
Hi bham curry,thanks for your pretty informed reply,haven't really thought about checking the spices to that degree.I think we've been pretty lucky in preparing his curries at the moment.The diagnosis is only three months new,so we're scratching around at the moment and have had to buy GF free curries from the shops,which in this present time is quite difficult.
Have seen a few recipes which will have to have a go at,they look quite interesting a d well informed too.
Cheers for the information Geoff

I'm coming up to 2 years since I discovered my wheat allergy. Just this month I learned that Pizza flavour Pringles have "wheat starch" listed as their last ingredient, and that is enough to trigger my allergy  :sad: so it's still a learning process.

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 09:36 PM »
Hi Bham curry,your  wheat allergy sounds about unbearable as Celiacs,you have to be so careful, don't you ?
We're still waiting from the hospital dietician for what he can eat to bulk him up Geoff

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 09:45 PM »
Hi Phil,we are awaiting word from his hospital dietician still,I think they have other more pressing currencies at present!?
Will keep you posted Geoff

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 10:57 PM »
OK, thanks for the update Geoff, and look forward to hearing more from you when the dietician can find the time to advise.
** Phil.

Offline bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 05:11 PM »
Hi Bham curry,your  wheat allergy sounds about unbearable as Celiacs,you have to be so careful, don't you ?
We're still waiting from the hospital dietician for what he can eat to bulk him up Geoff

my consolation is that I can still drink beer, albeit nothing made with wheat or rye! I was already cooking most of our food from scratch, the allergy just reinforced that and removed a couple of props from my food stash (no more busting open a packet of pasta for a lazy dinner ;))

©2024 Curry Recipes