Author Topic: Ghee, seasoned oil and just regular oil  (Read 2056 times)

Offline pjk75

• Chef
    • View Profile
Ghee, seasoned oil and just regular oil
« on: June 23, 2020, 05:12 PM »
Hi,

Still a bit of a novice when it comes to these things. What are people's preferences here or have I got it all wrong? Is ghee only used for certain dishes or is it an essential in trying to recreate BIR classics? Then I've seen seasoned oil (reclaimed oil from making onion bhajis) then just plain old vegetable or rapeseed oil. Ghee is easy to buy or make so I'll definitely try that. Seasoned oil seems a bit more hassle but is it worth it?

Thanks,
Paul.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ghee, seasoned oil and just regular oil
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 05:28 PM »
I personally don't use ghee at all in curries as I can't tell any difference from plain veg oil and it is relatively expensive compared to, say, rapeseed oil. Seasoned oil on the other hand is absolutely essential as one component of the BIR flavour and aroma (IMO) so I always use that.

Offline pjk75

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 05:34 PM »
I personally don't use ghee at all in curries as I can't tell any difference from plain veg oil and it is relatively expensive compared to, say, rapeseed oil. Seasoned oil on the other hand is absolutely essential as one component of the BIR flavour and aroma (IMO) so I always use that.

Ok, cheers! If you don't mind me asking, how do you make your seasoned oil? Is it reclaimed bhaji oil or do you use some other method?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 06:24 PM »
Not (of course) answering for Santa but my seasoned oil is simply oil reclaimed from curries (I like to make really oily curries, to bring out the flavour, but if I go too far in that direction I just decant a little off and save it), together with the drippings from when I baste my seekh kebabs and the drippings that they spontaneously exude while being cooked (I have a water-filled tray underneath to catch the drippings).  Not in a lifetime could I cook sufficient onion bhaji to get my seasoned oil that way.  And mustard oil (if you quietly overlook the health warnings and the erucic acid content) adds a certain je ne sais quoi, especially to tandoori and tikka dishes.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:17 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes