Author Topic: Base gravy caramelisation  (Read 1617 times)

Offline britishcurries

• Chef
    • View Profile
Base gravy caramelisation
« on: July 04, 2020, 02:22 AM »
I heard that aluminium pans are vital to BIR style curries because they have even heat distribution and allow the base gravy to caramelise. I use a regular non-stick pan and it's true that my base gravy doesn't caramelise. Is there any way to make the gravy caramelise without using aluminium pans?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:52 PM by britishcurries »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base gravy caramelisation
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 12:15 PM »
It will caramelise in any pan if you don't stir it. You just won't necessarily see it sticking, which is how most people would interpret it as having caramelised. Aluminium pans definitely not essential. They are used in BIRs for the reasons you state but also because they are cheap and because they are light.

Offline britishcurries

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 05:59 PM »
It will caramelise in any pan if you don't stir it. You just won't necessarily see it sticking, which is how most people would interpret it as having caramelised. Aluminium pans definitely not essential. They are used in BIRs for the reasons you state but also because they are cheap and because they are light.

Hmmm. I've seen conflicting opinions about this. Some swear by it, others dismiss it as folklore. It's the same thing with stuff like seasoned oil. Some chefs swear by it, others say it's superfluous. I confess that I never see the same effects at home as I do watching aluminium pan frying. I have a non-stick pan. Given aluminium pans are safe, there may be no harm in trying, but I'll keep your input in mind.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 04:01 AM »
Caramelisation is a small part of what is actually going on in your pan. Google the "Maillard reaction" and have a read if you have the inclination. Maybe stay away from the detailed scientific journals - unless you like that kind of stuff.

©2024 Curry Recipes