Author Topic: Has anyone else nailed a madras?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline britishcurries

• Chef
    • View Profile
Has anyone else nailed a madras?
« on: July 16, 2020, 10:07 AM »
I'm pretty happy with my madras now, and dare I say, it's near, if not at, restaurant level.

I've made three main differences since posting here, so I don't know how influential each is on its own, but I'll post them anyway:

1) Before adding the ginger/garlic paste, I fry 1 tablespoon of finely chopped onion with a small piece of cinnamon stick, a few green cardamoms, and star anise if it's there.

2) I use more oil so the spices can fry in it for 30-40 seconds, instead of creating a dry ball of paste.

3) I add the base gravy incrementally: 1/2 a ladle first, then a ladle, then another ladle. I let it fry for 90 seconds before adding the next ladle, except the first 1/2 ladle, which I fry for just 60 seconds.

I should also add that my base gravy was relatively simple, but I don't know if that's as important as the techniques above. I recognise that this is probably curry 101 to the majority of you, but it took my curry to the next level, and if any of you already incorporate these techniques and still feel like your curries aren't quite capturing the BIR flavour, I'd LOVE to eat at your local restaurant!

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone else nailed a madras?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Good to hear you

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 08:59 AM »
Is Curry 101 like Chicken 65?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 12:03 PM »
Is Curry 101 like Chicken 65?

More like this, Livo ...

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 11:36 PM »
Looks a good read. The 'Dummies' books are ok.

BC,  what Madras recipe did you use as the basis of your dish before the technique changes? Were the whole Garam Masala and Onion listed ingredients?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 10:28 AM »
Looks a good read. The 'Dummies' books are ok.

I've never read one, but am intrigued by the market positioning.  In Poland, the analogous series is called "XXX for eagles"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 05:39 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Yes my Taz Madras is delicious.

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 06:48 AM »
Going back to the original post 'Has anyone else nailed a Madras?' With this lockdown and since I have been tuning in to Hari Gotras weekly 'Cook with me' on a Friday evening. I usually just watch and pick up the many tips that she throws in whilst cooking. I came across a recipe for her lamb Madras and tried it with chicken and it is far way better than any other I have cooked. She adds tamarind in and definitely nails my preference of a Madras. As it isn't a BIR recipe I just add a  small amount of  whatever base I have in the freezer and loads more chopped green chillies. I'm no expert but have a look -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR_85reaTx8

Offline CurryManUKs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 03:19 AM »
Going back to the original post 'Has anyone else nailed a Madras?' With this lockdown and since I have been tuning in to Hari Gotras weekly 'Cook with me' on a Friday evening. I usually just watch and pick up the many tips that she throws in whilst cooking. I came across a recipe for her lamb Madras and tried it with chicken and it is far way better than any other I have cooked. She adds tamarind in and definitely nails my preference of a Madras. As it isn't a BIR recipe I just add a  small amount of  whatever base I have in the freezer and loads more chopped green chillies. I'm no expert but have a look -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR_85reaTx8

Have you experimented with worcestershire sauce? I wonder if tamarind and worcestershire would be overdoing it.

©2024 Curry Recipes