Author Topic: Few questions I need help with  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Ekram_123

• Chef
    • View Profile
Few questions I need help with
« on: August 13, 2020, 10:53 PM »
Hi all I have some questions as a trainee chef.

How long can I leave our base gravey once cooked and in use ( I

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions I need help with
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 10:26 AM »
What I tell you and what your local food hygiene inspector will tell you are as different as chalk and cheese.  I keep my base on the hob, re-heating it every couple of days, and it will last me a month without refrigeration.  Once my pre-cooked chicken is safely in the 'fridge, I will leave it there for anything up to a fortnight.  But no-one will sue me if they get food poisoning from something I have cooked, whereas they may well sue you, so err on the side of caution. 

If you refrigerate your base at <5C, I would expect it to be good for at least ten days; par-boiled potatoes will change their flavour over time, so I would try to use those the same day; and for pre-cooked chicken, maybe a week.  The last does pre-suppose that your pre-cooked chicken is moderately well spiced, because spices (and especially turmeric) act as a preservative.

Others will almost certainly offer even more conservative advice.

** Phil.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:53 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 06:19 PM »
Update from my wife, who owns a hotel & restaurant

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 08:27 PM »
Without knowing how many orders you will get and what dishes sell best for you where you are based it can be difficult to say because fresh is always best, i pre-cook chicken the night before, base night before and keep it covered, potatoes about 2 days at most in fridge.
For me i sell a huge amount of Chicken Tikka Masala, then Bhuna, Madras, Dopiaza, Rogan, Korma with Specials, this depends on which specials i make, Garlic specials sell well also for me.
So after a certain amount of weeks/months you can then predict roughly how many curry orders you receive and how much base/chicken/potatoes etc you will need, then saving you money and waste, so more on profit.
Will you be making rice, starters, and sides also.

Offline Ekram_123

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 07:39 AM »
Thanks Phil I was thinking to my self I can

©2024 Curry Recipes