Author Topic: Just joined, Brit living in West Virginia  (Read 2282 times)

Offline wex65

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Just joined, Brit living in West Virginia
« on: August 28, 2020, 06:28 PM »
Lived in the US since @2004 or so and am usually back in the UK 2-3 times a year but haven't been back in a couple of years and I am getting withdrawal symptoms from a proper BIR curry. The Indian food here is a poor representation of what is on offer in the UK.  I asked for poppadoms in our local the first time I went in there and was told noone called Papa Dom worked there??! That pretty much told me what to expect and it wasn't good.

I am not looking to be a master chef but if I could put together a handful of decent BIR curries it would make my year. Every time I have tried to make a curry it tastes like a tomato sauce with too many uncooked spices in it, nasty stuff.

Looking forward to learning some mainstay recipes.

Paul

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Just joined, Brit living in West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 06:50 PM »
Welcome aboard, Paul.  There is more than enough information here to ensure that you can get as close to real BIR cuisine as you wish.  Look around, and ask if you have any questions at all.

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 09:46 PM »
Welcome Wex, What curries are you looking to create mate?

The base sauce/gravy is one of the major keys to a BIR flavour, so look around the many recipes and see what you fancy.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 04:29 PM »
Welcome Wex
As a Brit living in North Carolina, I feel your pain.  There is hope, though, in this forum.  Tons of useful info, techniques, recipes.  Although I

Offline BRITISH-IAN FOOD

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Welcome WEX,
I am Syed from Bangladesh living in Birmingham UK With my family.

I Have my relatives in Virginia, Texas, Florida, and New york. also, there is a lot of Asian people live there now like new york.  I am sure this area has Asian supermarkets?

worked as a head chef in my brother's restaurant in Ashbourne, Derbyshire.

Now I left the restaurant industry, but I am trying to share my very little experience with everyone by making youtube recipe videos on my channel "BRITISH-IAN FOOD". when you have time just have a look at my channel.

also if you have any questions regarding any recipes just give me a shout.

you can email me too on this below email address :

britishindianfood@gmail.com

©2024 Curry Recipes