Author Topic: Another "Hello" Post  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Gaspodia

• Chef
    • View Profile
Another "Hello" Post
« on: September 07, 2020, 05:42 PM »

Hello fellow curry fans :)

I stumbled on this site while researching something (can't remember what it was though!).  Despite my Punjabi heritage, I didn't bother learning to cook curries until quite late in life and it took me a while even then to extract a usable recipe from my mother, who never measures anything.

A lot of my curry cooking is done in bulk; I regularly bulk cook 20 litres or more of curries for my parents' freezer as they are both elderly and I'm always looking out for ways to do that more effectively so please feel free to share any tips!

When I learnt to cook, the method I was given by my mother was very prescriptive - I had to use that large pan, that particular brand of ghee, cook the very specific ingredients in a very specific order etc. These days I am quite comfortable having one curry one go in the slow cooker, another in the instant pot pressure cooker, yet another in the oven and three more on the stove top in a mixture of deep and shallow pans - they all seem to turn out all right in the end though!

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Another "Hello" Post
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 06:29 PM »
Welcome, Gaspodia! (You cookin' on gas!) Ther's plenty of restaurant curry information here, so get stuck in and enjoy, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love you to share any family recipes you might have as well :like:

Offline Gaspodia

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 11:13 PM »
Thank you for the welcome :)

My recipes are strictly homely (my sauce isn't normally blended smooth), but I've been reading the BIR ones here with a great deal of interest.  I wouldn't have thought to add carrot to my base sauce - might have to give that a try some time!

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 01:54 PM »
Welcome Gaspodia. Great to have you with us.

I would welcome any homely recipes with Punjabi origins.

Online Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 11:33 PM »
Welcome G
I love my Instant Pot and my curry base turned out pretty well in it. Feel free to share any recipes you like.  Always willing to try new recipes.

Robbo

Offline Gaspodia

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 10:06 AM »
I've just posted the recipe I use - hopefully in the right part of the forum!  I definitely want to experiment more with my instant pot, particularly for dry curries as I find these to be the most labour intensive.  One day I'll have enough time on my hands to do that, one day...

©2024 Curry Recipes