Author Topic: Homely Punjabi Tadka Sauce  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Gaspodia

• Chef
    • View Profile
Homely Punjabi Tadka Sauce
« on: September 09, 2020, 10:03 AM »
This is my "homely" Punjabi tadka sauce recipe - it is definitely not a BIR curry sauce, but this is a base tadka that I've used many times at home.

Most of my curry cooking at the moment is for my parents' freezer, so all my recipes are centred on minimising water content and scaled to batch in convenient ratios for me.  If you do try any of them, I won't be at all offended if you don't abide by these two restrictions!  Feedback is always welcome :)

This recipe has been scaled to achieve zero waste on left over shorter life ingredients, which in this case is the tube of tomato puree and to minimise water content to be freezer efficient.  The recipe has been adapted from a family recipe handed down by my mother.  I have used frozen or store cupboard ingredients for this version, to illustrate that you can achieve a decent sauce without spending hours preparing the ingredients.

Ingredients
Approx. 10 wooden spoons ghee

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Homely Punjabi Tadka Sauce
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 10:16 AM »
Excellent stuff, Gaspodia, and many thanks for sharing.  Sorry I failed to welcome you aboard earlier

Offline Gaspodia

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 10:28 AM »
Thank you for the welcome Phil :)  I cook big batches at a time, but there is often a gap between them and I find that any open puree tubes don't do so well in my fridge.  This may be more to them lying forgotten at the back of the shelf though!  Because I cook mainly for my elderly parents, I am extra cautious about using opened tubes past their recommended few days.  If I know it's just for me and my husband, all such caution is thrown to the winds :D

Offline Gaspodia

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 10:41 AM »
Adding a picture of what the condensed sauce looks like at the end of cooking - I prefer a chunky sauce, so this hasn't been blended:

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Thank you for the welcome Phil :)  I cook big batches at a time, but there is often a gap between them and I find that any open puree tubes don't do so well in my fridge.  This may be more to them lying forgotten at the back of the shelf though!  Because I cook mainly for my elderly parents, I am extra cautious about using opened tubes past their recommended few days.  If I know it's just for me and my husband, all such caution is thrown to the winds :D

Fair enough, Gaspodia, and all understood.  Food is one of the very few areas where I am not risk-averse (indeed, I am positively risk-positive in this context), and as I commented to the gardener yesterday while making him an ox-tongue sandwich, "I don't throw any food away until it starts climbing out of the 'fridge by itself" !

** Phil.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:32 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes