Poll

If we had a Facebook group, would you use it?

Yes
2 (25%)
No
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: October 03, 2020, 07:55 PM

Author Topic: Facebook question  (Read 3700 times)

Offline prawnsalad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Facebook question
« on: September 20, 2020, 01:13 AM »
Definitely not purposely promoting this group (which Facebook algorithms suggested to me and I joined out of curiosity two weeks ago) yet it seems this is the closest curry group in BIR terms period and some of the posters are versed enough to be senior members here, hence the question... Does anyone belong to:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/398188214048477/

Question is so I can decide if its worth spending time on.

Thanks.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook question
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 07:47 AM »
Looks like a Misty Ricardo tribute page. Nothing wrong with that, of course - his stuff is very good!

I'm not on Facebook, so I assume it's an open forum as I can see it without signing up. I don't recognise any names, but it's very interesting to see just how many others are cooking decent BIR.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 09:19 AM »
Not I, PS.  I still remember the look of incredulity on my director's face when I asked "what is Facebook ?" some 20+ years ago.  I had genuinely not heard of it at the time, but when I learned what it was I took a decision never to get involved, a decision that I have never regretted.  I take the same position with Instagram, SnapChat, TikTok,Twitter and all the other instantiations of so-called "social media" (which I personally regard as anti-social media) with the sole exception of Linkedin where I can at least see some redeeming features.  That said, I have been aware of the Facebook BIR group(s) for some time, and fear that with the exponential increase in social media popularity and usage, such groups will rapidly come to dominate the world of BIR discussions
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 03:08 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Gaspodia

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 02:39 PM »
I think there is still a space for fora :)  I'm on Facebook a lot, but but it's very much an "in-the-moment" platform, as finding and following conversation threads is quite difficult, even for group pages.  I made a brief foray into twitter a few years ago but I really don't like using text speak (couldn't make myself leave off the "e" :D) so I struggled a bit with the character limit.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 04:49 AM »
This is one of quite a few FaceBook curry groups. There's Curry Club, The Secret Curry Club, The Curry Club (Home Cooking) and others. They are popular. The biggest one has somewhere around 50K members. They are all quite active. There are some that have been here and on the other forum participating. It's a mix of accomplished cooks, beginners and everything in between.

The biggest differences, I think, are the volume of traffic (much higher), and the diversity of participants.  There's a lot enthusiasm and the desire to cook and share. There's also a lot of uninformed opinion. There are trolls. There are spats. But they tend to get drowned out by the volume. The concept of a flame war doesn't really exist.

It's hopelessly disorganized. It doesn't have the carefully managed library of recipes that one would find here. The search function works pretty well though. I suspect Facebook licenses technology from Google.

I think of it as a huge party with many, many conversations going on at once. I have met some truly excellent cooks and all around nice people in these groups. It is, like anything, going to give back in proportion to what you put into it.

I'm a little old school and do prefer forums for their structure but there are some really good on-topic FB groups out there.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 09:21 PM »
I still remember the look of incredulity on my director's face when I asked "what is Facebook ?" some 20+ years ago.

I'm not surprised that he had a look of incredulity, since Facebook wasn't around 20+ years ago......

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 11:38 PM »
Unless you are exceptionally lucky, Garp,you too may find it difficult when you reach my age to place accurately things that took place in the distant past ...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:33 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 09:47 PM »
This is one of quite a few FaceBook curry groups. There's Curry Club, The Secret Curry Club, The Curry Club (Home Cooking) and others. They are popular. The biggest one has somewhere around 50K members. They are all quite active. There are some that have been here and on the other forum participating. It's a mix of accomplished cooks, beginners and everything in between.

The biggest differences, I think, are the volume of traffic (much higher), and the diversity of participants.  There's a lot enthusiasm and the desire to cook and share. There's also a lot of uninformed opinion. There are trolls. There are spats. But they tend to get drowned out by the volume. The concept of a flame war doesn't really exist.

It's hopelessly disorganized. It doesn't have the carefully managed library of recipes that one would find here. The search function works pretty well though. I suspect Facebook licenses technology from Google.

I think of it as a huge party with many, many conversations going on at once. I have met some truly excellent cooks and all around nice people in these groups. It is, like anything, going to give back in proportion to what you put into it.

I'm a little old school and do prefer forums for their structure but there are some really good on-topic FB groups out there.

Maybe it's time that CRO ventured into the Facebook world. Could be fun and attract more curry fans with whom we can share thoughts etc. Something to look into Mr Owner?

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 01:50 PM »
The facebook clubs are a totally different structure, very high post volume, and no real organisation, members go from total novice to very accomplished. As there is little structure questions like "My rice is always sticky what am i doing wrong" can be asked by six different people in a day. That said as Romain pointed out the search funtion does work and there is a lot of info there.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 10:04 PM »
The facebook clubs are a totally different structure, very high post volume, and no real organisation

As opposed to here, where there is very low post volume and no real organisation - although the owner did introduce the recipe section; but it has been largely shunned.

©2024 Curry Recipes