Author Topic: Chicken Tikka/Tandoori (Illustrated!)  (Read 44938 times)

Offline underwurlde

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka/Tandoori (Illustrated!)
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 05:16 PM »
The pictures above seem to be red-"X"d for me....

Andy

Offline Astronick

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 12:26 AM »
Hi!

As a veggie, tikka is something I've never even tried in a BIR  :'(  but I always liked the sound of it. So I used CA's receipe but substituted Quorn fillets cut into chunks. The result was absolutely fantastic. The quorn was marinated for about 27 hours and absorbed all the wonderful flavours of the tikka marinade. In fact that's the great thing about using quorn in this receipe - it doesn't taste of much on its own but it's a bit like a sponge and will absorb the flavours it's cooked in.

When cooked and cut open it had the classic tikka appearance - the red outside and white inside. I served it on a simple mixed leaf salad with lemon wedges, CA's Mint Raita (delish!  ;D ) and sprinkled with chopped coriander.

I was really pleased with the result and will definately repeat the exercise. Whilst not very authentic BIR - I would LOVE my local BIR to start cooking it!  ;D

Thanks CA.

Best Wishes,

Astronick

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 02:10 AM »
Hi Astronick,

Thanks for trying this recipe and letting us know how you found it  8)

An interesting dish, glad you liked it!  :P

You can also successfully "tikka" vegetables too e.g. cauliflower, brocolli, mushrooms, potatoes, etc, etc...anything you like really....and fish of course (if you eat fish, that is?)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 02:22 AM »
You can also successfully "tikka" vegetables too e.g. cauliflower, brocolli, mushrooms, potatoes, etc, etc...anything you like really....and fish of course (if you eat fish, that is?)

Paneer man..PANEER!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 02:40 AM »
Yep, PANEER too!  :P

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 01:57 PM »
Those look amazing! Yum yum.

I have one of those black frying pan things with the deep lines / furrows that I use to cook steak etc. Do You think that I could use that to achieve the BBQ flavour? I thought about covering the pan to keep the smoke in. Any thoughts?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 09:25 PM »
The "barbecue" flavour comes from the smoke from the juices dripping onto the naked flames (e.g. from coal or wood) Bobby.

No naked flames implies no "barbecue" flavour to me  :P

You can cook them as you suggest, or under a grill, but you won't get the same flavour

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 01:33 AM »
Discussion on barbecues and smokers moved to here by CA: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2431.msg21062.html#msg21062

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 06:26 PM »
i've made this tikka so much now i can make it in my sleep.

over time i've tried the odd little change or tweak. i can't say they make that much difference as the original spec is 100% spot on.

the tweaks for info:
1) marinate the chicken in the lemon juice, salt for ~2hrs before adding the marinade. i also add deggi mirch to the chicken as it is mixed into the lemon and salt. the deggi mirch (~1 tsp) adds a red colour to the chicken without being too hot - looks more BIR as a result
2) add tamarind concentrate (say 1 tsp)
3) add fresh ginger (say 1")

The only other key requirement is to use a shop bought tandoori masala ? the pink variety something like Leena. The rajah is a deeper red and ok but not as good ? it?s very good as a dry rub though (for bbq).

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 10:33 AM »
Hi,

I made the marinade and the masalla as per the 2 recipes and applied to some leg/thigh chicken pieces to make some tandoori chicken.

I found the end result was a little too dominant in the garlic flavour. The masalla recipe already contains a fair proportion of garlic powder and I used 3 teaspoons of garlic paste which is supposed to equal 3 cloves, as per the recipe.

I'll try again and reduce the fresh garlic to 1 clove's worth. I might also increase the mint jelly to 2 teaspoons as I couldn't really detect the mint flavour.

Overall though, the chicken was pretty yummy and juicy so not a disaster by any means.

©2024 Curry Recipes