Author Topic: Chicken Tikka/Tandoori (Illustrated!)  (Read 44677 times)

Offline billycat

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka/Tandoori (Illustrated!)
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 08:43 PM »
976BAR

forgive me if i am wrong but that recipe sounds distinctly like Blades

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 09:08 PM »
It does look very close to Blades recipe, but minus mint and using Pataks tikka not tandoori paste.

I find I need to add yoghurt to get Blades recipe to work.

I guess there must be some difference between tikka and tandoori (apart from the bones) as manufacturers such as Pataks make 2 different products to cater for each.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 03:08 AM »
I guess there must be some difference between tikka and tandoori (apart from the bones) as manufacturers such as Pataks make 2 different products to cater for each.

Yes, that's true, they do, but I have never understood why? 

Patak tikka paste emphasises "tamarind and paprika" on the jar and Patak tandoori paste emphasises "tamarind and ginger".  So those using these pastes (individually, not combined as is often seen in recipes here) will presumably discern a difference between tikka and tandoori.

Otherwise, to me, tikka and tandoori are the same thing, apart from the former being on the bone and latter not.  Is it conceivable that the difference in taste is entirely due to this (especially if the tandoori chicken still has any skin - i.e. fat - on)?  Is it also conceivable that tandoori chicken is marinated longer because it is bigger pieces?

For those that believe there is a difference between the two, I would be interested to hear (and see recipes for) how the marinades differ (other than using commercial pastes, such as Pataks). 

Personally, I find it hard to believe that BIRs would bother to make two different marinades for the two.  But I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 06:05 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 08:48 AM »
976BAR

forgive me if i am wrong but that recipe sounds distinctly like Blades

Billycat, it is blades recipe, I just modified it slightly.

Damned best Chicken Tikka I've ever tasted!!! :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 01:57 PM »
I'll have to get some Pataks tikka paste and retry Blades recipe replacing the Pataks tandoori paste. I could make 2 and compare the tikka versus tandoori paste.

CA - Tandoori chicken (on the bone) always has the skin removed before the marinade.

TBH I'm not looking for 2 different treatments or tastes for tikka or tandoori. Just one good repeatable recipe will do me for both.

I liked the CA recipe as it did not require any pre-made ingredients like Pataks but I need to modify a bit as it came across a bit too garlicky.

Offline tgad2007

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 05:36 PM »
just tried your recipe cory and it the absolute dogs danglys!!!!! And from what i have seen in the kitchen at my local indian you are right they do not use a different marinade..

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 08:58 AM »
I'll have to get some Pataks tikka paste and retry Blades recipe replacing the Pataks tandoori paste.

PaulP,

just taste a little of the paste when u get it (i know it says not to until its cooked but i survived).

also given u make CA's tikka buy a tub of tamerind concentrate (mine is in yellow tub trade name Tamicon anything like it would be fine ie don't get the raw stuff). add a little to the tikka marinade (i use 1 tsp).

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2009, 09:15 PM »
Made these yesterday and had them today,  had previously done blades recipe and enjoyed that so had a go at this.  I must say it was very nice and totally different to blades.  This was more subtle if that is the right word.  I would definately do this again as I enjoyed it very much but next time I will add the mango powder as I never had any. 
What will this add to the taste?
As for the tikka/tandoori debate to me they taste different at my local indian(Mehfil in Doncaster) but at some others they are very similar if not the same depends where you go I guess.  My local Indians tandoori chicken definately has a paneer taste to it and very nice it is too.  Anyone else had this taste do they putt paneer in the marinade?
I might be barking up the wrong tree but that is what it tastes like to me ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2009, 11:23 PM »
Anyone else had this taste do they putt paneer in the marinade?

I can't say I've ever noticed that taste but I have certainly come across some recipes in the past with paneer blitzed in with the marinade, so it doesn't surprise me. I must have a go to see what difference it makes.

Offline paulandtoni

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 08:46 AM »
Cheers Cory along with your Naan recipie this should go down a treat.

©2024 Curry Recipes