Author Topic: Off-topic replies  (Read 28351 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb bhuna (off-topic replies)
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 10:04 AM »
Up to 25% of any publication is allowed to be copied and distributed for educational purposes.  If this forum is not about education then what exactly is it? I'm pretty sure I've posted copy of a single page before today.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 10:34 AM »
There's a copy "out there" on the web, Livo, but to avoid offending George's sensibilities I have sent the link via PM.
** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 11:09 AM »
The place to go for answers (appertaining to the UK, which I assume is where our servers are) is the Copyright Licensing Agency, who make some interesting points/suggestions wrt recipes.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 11:25 AM »
The place to go for answers (appertaining to the UK, which I assume is where our servers are) ...
Much to my surprise, that does indeed appear to be the case

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 07:39 PM »
Phil - I hope you are pleased with yourself. I contacted the publisher and he said it's particularly selfish given that the author, Ali, agreed to donate all royalties of the book to a Glasgow hospice.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 08:25 PM »
There is a free file share site where the book, in its entirety, has been downloaded 7278 times (link not provided but easy to find). Call the publisher again for me George and ask them how much of my AUS $29.64 will reach the Hospice, were I to purchase the book here in Australia, and I'll donate the full cost directly.

Reduced from AUS $42.75 shipped free from USA on Fishpond.com.au.
https://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Shish-Mahal-Cook-Book-Ali-Aslam-Floydd-Kennedy-Volume-editor/9780907526087?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=AU&gclid=CjwKCAiA17P9BRB2EiwAMvwNyLSFUCNByCio5lbCtCwjTtVzP2o7226Olu_r6f_xwSz25ZOzPvQjdxoCEcYQAvD_BwE

I can also purchase a used copy from World of Books for $26.49, in which case the royalty will already have been paid.
https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-au/books/ali-aslam/shish-mahal-cook-book/9780907526087?gclid=CjwKCAiA17P9BRB2EiwAMvwNyBndw7Fjpj2ELSBpdnYi6fmVPmV9wqw6Q05Uv4fRABSw021rpbNTnRoCfZAQAvD_BwE#GOR001677039

Perhaps a copy of the recipe index might inspire me to purchase the publication, or download it and donate.  How do you rate the other recipes?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 08:43 PM by livo »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 08:46 PM »
I contacted the publisher and he said it's particularly selfish given that the author, Ali, agreed to donate all royalties of the book to a Glasgow hospice.

I think that that is very generous of Ali Aslam.  But I cannot see how my reporting what the CLA would allow me to do is in any way selfish.  If I were to "e-mail a scanned extract" to a fellow forum member, then if that forum member found the recipe to his/her taste, he or she would surely be encouraged to buy a copy of the book, and thereby benefit the hospice.  And if he or she does not find the recipe to his/her taste, then nothing has been lost, since it is highly unlikely that he or she would have bought the book "on spec" in the first place.

[This and related comments will shortly be relocated to "Off-topic replies"]. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:34 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 09:00 PM »
Oh dear. So sad to see how far this once great forum has sunk  :cry:

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 09:17 PM »
As could well have been expected the Fileshare site link was a dud and the volume is not available for download.  After requiring CC details for "verification" on a 5 day free trial the publication is not available. 

Having now seen the index page I will probably go ahead and purchase the book, and I will gladly pay the slightly higher price for a new copy, so you can relax George. 

Fortunately, I bought 2 boned out lamb legs yesterday so I can try the Lamb Bhoona tonight without having access to the Aldi product.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 08:51 AM »
But I cannot see how my reporting what the CLA would allow me to do is in any way selfish.

Many people will see your technical 'excuse' as bad form; almost immoral. It seems there's no stopping you. And now it seems you want to shunt off any post which shows you in a bad light to a folder where it's less likely to be read. I urge you to think again.

I agree with Garp - the forum has sunk to a new low.

©2024 Curry Recipes