Author Topic: Off-topic replies  (Read 27838 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Butter, ghee, frying, temperatures, room heating, etc.
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2020, 02:16 PM »
3 TBSP oil + 1 tsp ish of ghee is my starter.   All this talk of oils and lard and dripping is making me pine for Lurpak.  Can?t get it here in the Carolinas.  I pay $5 for a pack of ?European style? butter and, not too dissimilar to my own BIR efforts, it?s OK but just not quite.  You Brits still in Blighty don?t know how lucky you are.

Robbo

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2020, 02:53 PM »
You've mentioned Lurpak before, Robbo, but I am unclear what is so special about it.  I know the name, I have eaten it in the past, but these days I normally just buy Farmfoods salted pure Irish butter at 99p/227gm, or I want a special treat, Cornish or Normandy (at a considerably higher price).  For spreadable I go for Loseley naturally softer butter (if I can get to Waitrose), Kerrygold softer butter (if I can't) and am perfectly happy to fall back on Anchor spreadable if neither of the first two are available

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2020, 03:03 PM »
I wonder too Phil.  I think it?s a case of it tasting like childhood.  Warm stotties, or thick white sliced, thick with Lurpak is something dear to my heart.  Can?t be having that spreadable stuff though.

Robbo

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2020, 03:13 PM »
Well, childhood memories are certainly a taste stimulus, but I was very disappointed when I tried some chocolate spread again after a gap of some 65 years

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2020, 05:21 PM »
You've mentioned Lurpak before, Robbo, but I am unclear what is so special about it. 

Ditto. I recall this being a hot topic many years ago because a few BIRs had been shown to use it as the butter of choice. I tried it and wondered what the fuss was about. It's a fine butter but no finer than many other cheaper butters.

but these days I normally just buy Farmfoods salted pure Irish butter

Ditto again! My butter of preference is in fact Kerrygold but this cheapo version is decent enough.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2020, 05:34 PM »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Butter, butter bells, ghee, frying, temperatures, room heating, etc.
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2020, 09:32 PM »
We keep our butter in an old fashioned ?bell? on the kitchen bench so never an issue with it being too hard for a sarnie.  I?d never seen one before, you push butter in this bell and then invert it in a little cup thing and it keeps it at the right temperature.  Old school farmhouse thing according to the missis.  We never keep butter in the fridge.
Here?s a thing: only last week, at the (slightly) ripe old age of 53, did I try pumpernickel bread for the first time, and what a delight that was.  So good.

Mr. Naga pickle arrived ($20) so now to try a Syed dish with that new ingredient.

Robbo
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:37 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2020, 07:07 PM »
Fascinating.  I was unaware of the existence of butter bells, and am now debating whether or not to invest in one.  The problem is, I like both firm and spreadable butter

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2020, 09:34 PM »
Here it is in all its simple glory.

Just smoosh the butter into the little bell thing and it sits in the cup.
And inverted in the cup thing.  Butter defies gravity it seems.

Robbo

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2020, 10:02 PM »
I looked them up. It seems the butter makes contact with water in the base, to keep air out. And the water needs to be changed every 3 days. Is that what you do?

©2024 Curry Recipes