Author Topic: Off-topic replies  (Read 28627 times)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Butter, ghee, frying, temperatures, room heating, etc.
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2020, 06:48 PM »
You might be better off just having the sensor in the kitchen and the thermostat body outside, as the components will be producing heat which might warm the kitchen creating a larger gap in temp between the inside of the fridge and the kitchen.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2020, 07:19 PM »
A kitchen at 6C is a splendid feat of energy efficiency!  The fridge will consume no power at all, no money is being spent on gas central heating for that room,

It extends further than the kitchen, actually. I discovered about 10 years ago how I could save around

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2020, 07:54 PM »
Not for me, George.  I'm neither a stoic nor a Spartan, so I have had the central heating running for about 16 hours a day for the past two days.  Prior to that (it turned bitterly cold here a couple of days ago), I would turn it on manually in two-hour bursts as needed.  When the cat comes in at 13:00 instead of 02:30, I know that it is cold outside !

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2020, 08:57 PM »
I have had the central heating running for about 16 hours a day for the past two days. 

Think of all the carbon being produced and the sheer inefficiency of your approach. I keep myself snug and warm (probably as warm as you are), rather than wasteful heating on all the air, furniture, walls and everything else around me.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2020, 09:51 PM »
It is possible, George, that you do not live in a 300-year-old cottage with 3' thick granite walls.  If you did, you would know that if one does not heat the building from the inside, water literally trickles down the insides of the outer walls.  I prefer to generate a little carbon and keep the house (and myself) warm and dry.

** Phil.

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2020, 06:36 AM »
A kitchen at 6C is a splendid feat of energy efficiency!  The fridge will consume no power at all, no money is being spent on gas central heating for that room,

It extends further than the kitchen, actually. I discovered about 10 years ago how I could save around

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Off-topic replies
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2020, 03:09 PM »
I was keen to reply to Jon and anyone else who wants to discuss room heating, But due to the posts being transferred to this back water or naughty step type place, I'm out for the time being.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2020, 03:22 PM »
"Off-topic replies" are not "the naughty step", George
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 04:07 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2020, 04:06 PM »
The whole concept of 'off topic replies' is daft in my opinion. It may as well be called 'Anything which the moderator doesn't like'. As it was me who suggested that the heating related posts be separated-out, the least you could have done was to open a new thread called something like 'room heating' in Talk about anything. I could start a new thread myself and paraphrase previous comments but we've now lost the momentum, unless anyone else would like to support me in getting rid of the concept of 'off topic replies'.

©2024 Curry Recipes