Author Topic: Dhakeshwari  (Read 10020 times)

Offline eclav

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Dhakeshwari
« on: October 13, 2020, 01:23 PM »
hello! i just discovered this site on a quest to replicate the chicken dhakeshwari my old local indian sold - i moved away a few months ago and can't stop thinking about it, and my new local doesn't sell it ???? (if anyone is in the area, the dhakeshwari was from cinnamon in canterbury, and its one of the best things i have ever eaten. new local is rajdoot in guildford, and they do a phenomenal tikka masala that almost makes up for it.)

has anyone tried making dhakeshwari before? the mango curry described in this thread led me here and it seems to be similar: https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=12501.0.

cinnamon describe it as "Cooked with herbs and spices and garnished with mango pulp, ground almond and ghee"

another restaurant has: "Tender pieces of chicken marianted in herbs and spices, cooked with sliced mangos, ground almond, puree ghee very creamy"

google searching says that 'dhakeshwari' is the name of a temple in dhaka, bangladesh, so i think i'm looking for a bangladeshi recipe! knowing the marinade and how the curry is constructed will probably go a long way to recreating it at home. i'm close to calling the restaurant and begging them for the recipe, so it would be nice to avoid that indignity

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Dhakeshwari
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 01:54 PM »
Livo is your man (our Antipodean expert on mango curries) but until he gets a chance to respond, perhaps glance at this one and tell us if it appears similar.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:51 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 01:54 PM »
Sounds like an unholy marriage of mango chicken and chicken korma. Not my fort
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:07 PM by Secret Santa »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 02:55 PM »
Did you realise, Santa, when you searched for "Chicken Dhakeshwari", that almost every UK restaurant that lists the dish uses virtually the same gloss ?  I begin to wonder whether there are in fact just one or two Mr Patels / Mr Chowdhurys who between them own almost every British Indian Restaurant !

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 04:20 PM »
Chicken Dhakeshwari appears to be the UK name for Mango Chicken. (Or at least it is very similar. I wish we'd known that years ago.) I've pretty much replicated the dish now following Chewytikka's advise based on his Chicken Makhoni video and adding mango pulp.

Pre-cooked chicken
Butter Ghee
Almond powder
Bland base gravy
Small amount of mixed curry powder
Mango pulp (Alphonse or Kesar)
Cream
Jaggery (optional)

If you follow the thread you linked you'll have a good starting point.  The big tip is to use a low level of spicing. Bland gravy and very little powder so the Mango is the dominant flavour. Too much spice confuses the dish.

Offline BRITISH-IAN FOOD

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 06:29 PM »
Hi ECLAV,
dakeshwari is one of the dishes we had in our restaurant menu. wasn't that popular but I do have that recipe.

its a kind of mild dish, let me tell you how you can make this.

ingredients:

* cooking oil - 1 chefspoon (3-4tbsp)
* butter ghee - 2 tbsp
* garlic-ginger paste -  1/2 tsp
* finely chopped onion -  2 tbsp
* tomato puree - 2 chefspoon
* mix curry powder -  1/2 tsp
* salt to taste -  1/4 tsp
* coconur powder -  2tbsp
* almond powder-  2 tbsp
* sugar - 1 tbsp
* chicken tikka,lamb tikka, or tandoori duck - 1-2 serving (200-250g)
* base gravy -  250ml
* single cream -  60ml (but if you want more creamy,you can add more or less, its up to you)
* add 1tsp melted butter

METHOD:

* Add cooking oil and butter ghee in a heated pan
* add garlic-ginger paste
* add the onion
* add salt to taste
* once the onion has softened, add tomato puree
* let it cook for 10-15sec
* add mix curry powder
* add coconut powder, almond powder & sugar
* let it fry the spices for 10-15sec
* add the meats
* let it fry for 10-15sec, make sure the spice doesn't burn
* add base gravy
* stir it well, let it cook for 2-3min on low medium heat
* add single cream and melted butter
* mix it well, let it cook for 30sec-1min until the sauce got perfect consistency and the color.
* that's it, your curry is ready. enjoy   :smile:

i havent done this recipe for my channel yet, but soon i will do .

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 09:18 PM »
No Mango British-ian Food? 
I have just viewed many UK restaurant menu listings of this dish and without exception they include either mango pulp and / or slices.  In fact google automatically presents mango chicken hits as well, including this one which I will try.
https://www.meatandtravel.com/authentic-indian-mango-chicken-curry/
The photograph of this dish is not unlike the Mango Chicken you buy out here. I will try it as written and then also modify it to the BIR method as best I can for comparison.  Also, I'm not sure about the chilli in this recipe. Mango Chicken has zero chilli heat or flavour in all instances I've encountered.  I'd also probably sub the yogurt and coconut cream for just cream so there are a few variations to try from this recipe.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:01 PM by livo »

Offline BRITISH-IAN FOOD

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 10:15 PM »
no livo, we never used mango on our dhakeshwari.

we had mango curry on our menu, but that's different.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 11:07 PM »
Mango curry isn't on your channel.  Would you mind sharing that recipe in the Mango Chicken thread I started back in 2013?
https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=12501.0

Offline eclav

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 03:06 PM »
This is so helpful guys, thank you! British-ian Food, that sounds like a great start, although the version I'm thinking of definitely had mango - maybe it's a name that gets given to a few different things? And Livo, I'm glad to hear it sounds similar to your mango curry! I'll try making that and see if it is similar

©2024 Curry Recipes