Author Topic: Passanda  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Passanda
« on: November 14, 2020, 12:20 PM »
In a nutshell

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Passanda
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 02:07 PM »
Onions - in the 1980s I ordered kormas quite a lot, simply because I enjoyed the taste at that time. Occasionally, I would order a lamb passanda (never chicken) and the sauce seemed like a superior version of a korma. I guess it may have been due to a bit of red wine and possibly some flavour leeching from the lamb. The last passanda I enjoyed was in August this year during the eat out offer. The sauce was very tasty but I couldn't guess how they'd made it. I bet their korma wouldn't have been as good.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Sultanas have no place in a curry - but that's only my opinion.

That takes me back to the early 80's when chippies and canteens were making a sauce with uncooked spices (particularly turmeric) and throwing in sultanas. Put me right off curry for a while.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 03:35 PM »

I agree. I don't remember every coming across a sultana in anything I've ever ordered at a BIR.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 03:48 PM »
Onions - in the 1980s I ordered kormas quite a lot, simply because I enjoyed the taste at that time. Occasionally, I would order a lamb passanda (never chicken) and the sauce seemed like a superior version of a korma. I guess it may have been due to a bit of red wine and possibly some flavour leeching from the lamb. The last passanda I enjoyed was in August this year during the eat out offer. The sauce was very tasty but I couldn't guess how they'd made it. I bet their korma wouldn't have been as good.

Alcohol is certainly something I don't think I've ever come across in a BIR, so I agree it must make a definite change to the usual korma (cream, coconut?) flavour, and as you say, lam is always going to be a flavour in its own right compared to (at least breast of) chicken. Still, sounds interesting; I'll look out for recipe(s) and give ut a go.

I agree. I don't remember every coming across a sultana in anything I've ever ordered at a BIR.

I've come across a paste of sultanas in a curry recipe before-for sweetness-possibly even on here? But I agree, it's a little bit 70s vesta curry. Remember what Swiss Toni says...

The seventies: when curries had raisins in and women stayed married

Offline Sevking

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 08:38 AM »
Sultanas are usually used in Peshwari Naan?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 08:43 AM »
Sultanas are usually used in Peshwari Naan?

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I have seen sultanas included (whole) in recipes for Peshwari Naan but have never come across a sultana on frequent occasions when I have ordered that naan. I guess it's possible BIRs puree the paste, and it wouldn't be obvious if sultanas are included or not.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 08:10 PM »
To me, in BIR terms, a Pasanda is a pimped up Korma. Like the traditional, home-cooked Korma, the home-cooked Pasanda is quite different from the BIR version, as it is slowly cooked, thinly sliced meat.

©2024 Curry Recipes