Author Topic: 16th Century Vindaloo recipe  (Read 10225 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: 16th Century Vindaloo recipe
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 06:52 PM »
And pre-cooking them in the left-over juices from Syed's pre-cooked chicken recipe produces results that are out of this world

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 07:38 PM »
Very interesting SS. The recipe seemed to work for me with pork but Phil didn't think much of the chicken version.
Hi Livo, my attempt at this has been put back until after the 18th December but I have some lovely pork belly slices in the freezer. How do you think this would work in the recipe if I removed the rind and cut it into cubes?
The war office (Wife) has extended our dry January to a vegetarian January as well (she means well) so I

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2020, 07:48 PM »
I'd imagine skinning and cubing pork belly will be fine.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 07:51 PM »
I'd imagine skinning and cubing pork belly will be fine.

But do make crackling from the skin

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2020, 01:20 PM »
From the same team, the "one-pot Indian chicken curry" looks worth investigating.  There is a lovely bit in the voice-over at 02:36 where she says "... and cook it 'till your kitchen smells like Indian food" !  The chicken masala has some interesting ingredients, too :  equal quantities of turmeric, amchoor, mace powder, dry ginger powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, nigella seeds, and black salt.

Perhaps separate the post re. the chicken curry into a new thread Phil? I think a lot of readers wold like to see it, but atm it's kind of buried in the middle of a vindaloo thread. So if someone doesn't like vindaloo, they'll also miss out on a nice little curry.

I'm doing this as we speak: just put in chicken + marinade-what a great colour! Lovely golden-brown I've not seen in a long time. Should be a good 'un, and I imagine even more so on a reheat!

And I am delighted to be able to report that they have very kindly agreed to take on board my request for a traditional murgh-e-mussalam recipe (whole spring chicken stuffed with keema and boiled eggs), and will be looking into producing one in due course.

Also new-thread worthy!  :)

Note: From last night, but wouldn't load.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2020, 02:29 PM »
Done as requested
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 10:06 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2021, 09:05 PM »
It took a little longer to try this recipe.
My slight changes:
2 TBSP oil + 1 TBSP ghee instead of 3 oil
60g vidalia onion instead of red onion + 1 portion syed?s service onion from freezer (50g)

I went with only white wine vinegar and used 2 green and 2 red bird eye chilies.
The dried red chilies in the roasting pan are the ones I use to make a beautiful Sichuan boiled fish dish I had many times in Beijing. I have no idea what kind they are. Also my first use of the little spice roasting pan the missis got me.

My preferred Ziplok bag marination method.  Works a treat.

We begin with the most important cooking wine, of course.  Can?t cook without a glass in hand.

And the dish is now resting 4 hours till dinner, where it will be accompanied by plain basmati.

I tried a piece of chicken and it was delicious. I?m not overly happy with the way the sliced chilies turned out.  Adding them right at the start reduced them to mere wisps and I prefer a bit more body so when I try again with pork I?ll add them later. 

Initial impression, good and hot.  No tomato or coriander seems odd, somehow.

Robbo

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2021, 09:59 PM »
Looks excellent, Robbo

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2021, 10:38 PM »
Agreed Phil, can?t imagine not at the very least garnishing with coriander.
Stalks in the next one for sure. Wish I?d bought a heat and eat naan while at the store today though but will make do with just the rice for this first serving.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2021, 06:29 AM »
I'll be looking forward to your appraisal of the dish once you've rested and eaten it.

Why is the glass of cooking wine half empty?  Although, I often double marinate my Lamb Souvlaki.

©2024 Curry Recipes