Author Topic: 16th Century Vindaloo recipe  (Read 10203 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 16th Century Vindaloo recipe
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 10:40 AM »
If you haven't started cooking this dish yet, why not?  It is amazing.  I am not a hot chilli curry fan. My father-in-law's favorite dish was Pork Vindaloo, which I cooked for him several times but never really enjoyed myself.  The sad thing is that he is now deceased.  This dish is what he wanted.  Sweet, tangy, spicy, delicious.  And as a traditionally cooked dish it will be better tomorrow.  I even short-cutted due to my individuals family members dietary idiosyncrasies.

I will post my photos and notations tomorrow morning, (my time Australia), but this is a winner, winner chicken (pork) dinner.  Cook it and eat it.

Thank you T63, This is a good recipe.  Whether or not it is 500 years old is irrelevant.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 12:43 PM »
That's about as good a recommendation as possible, so I will add this to my short-list of "dishes to cook soon".  But it will have to be chicken

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 01:34 PM »
That's about as good a recommendation as possible

Yeah, that's all we need to know, cheers livo. Might go with the week-long marinade and soured wine, though, and pork is a must, de Almeida style!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 09:34 PM »
It really isn't too different to sweet and sour Phil. Plenty of vinegar and sugar and vindaloo is the only Indian dish I ever use pork.  I have never had a vindaloo made with any other meat but I will try this one with chicken and I'm sure it will be good as well.

A few notes on what I did.
1. The onion content seemed quite low so I used 2 small onions which is probably double the amount listed.
2. I only used 1 green cayenne chilli but it was quite large and I removed the seeds.
3. I used dried Kashmiri Chilli, again seeds removed (trying to grow them, unsuccessfully so far).
4. I used Kashmiri Chilli powder.
5. Being pork, I followed the instruction of using extra stock and a longer cook / reduction. Chicken stock, about 2 cups.
6. I used 50/50 red and white wine vinegar.
7. I used brown sugar as I'm out of Jaggery.
8. My marination time was short but it still worked as far as I can tell without comparison. I was only able to marinate for 2 hours otherwise I would have had to wait till today.

Everything else was as listed. Changing the chilli as I did probably reduced the heat somewhat but it is just how I wanted it to be.  If you like the heat you could use a hot powder and up the number or type of whole chillies.

Here is some pics. The one I took of the onions finished before the meat was added was blurred so I binned it. So is the one of the first reduction but at least you can see it a little bit.
1. Pork marination.
2. Ready to go.
3. Onions, green chilli, cinnamon and mustard seeds in.
4. First reduction.
5. Second dose of stock during reduction.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:07 PM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 07:08 PM »
I prepared dinner last night with some plain brown Basmati rice, a serve of the Vindaloo, a few vegies and a cheat naan. Very nice. I'm pleased I used the chilli as I did. The dish was about as hot as I like and any hotter would cross over to not to my liking.

After the 24 hour rest the Vindaloo was good and actually very interesting. The whole flavour is pleasing and the interesting thing is that I was able to easily identify the different taste components. It is sweet, sour, salty, spicy as in chilli heat and I could actually taste the Kashmiri chilli.

One odd thing occurred. The skin of the fresh green cayenne chilli has completely separated from the flesh and the individual pieces have rolled up like cinnamon sticks. They are like sticks of straw and I had to remove them. I have never seen this before and I wonder if has anything to do with salt and vinegar.

Anyway, I'm no vindaloo expert but this dish is pretty tasty. I look forward to trying it with chicken.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 10:16 PM »
If you haven't started cooking this dish yet, why not?  It is amazing.  I am not a hot chilli curry fan. My father-in-law's favorite dish was Pork Vindaloo, which I cooked for him several times but never really enjoyed myself.  The sad thing is that he is now deceased.  This dish is what he wanted.  Sweet, tangy, spicy, delicious.  And as a traditionally cooked dish it will be better tomorrow.  I even short-cutted due to my individuals family members dietary idiosyncrasies.

I will post my photos and notations tomorrow morning, (my time Australia), but this is a winner, winner chicken (pork) dinner.  Cook it and eat it.

Thank you T63, This is a good recipe.  Whether or not it is 500 years old is irrelevant.

Thanks for the update, I will give it a go, hopefully this weekend.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 11:01 AM »
All ingredients now sourced (I was lacking chicken thighs and dried red chillies), so hoping to have a go in the near future.
** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 04:44 PM »
Any joy Phil? Mine's due on Saturday.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:23 PM by Onions »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 05:15 PM »
Not yet

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 05:52 PM »
Ah  :)  I've managed to put mine off till Tuesday now, but that'll be it.

©2024 Curry Recipes