Author Topic: 16th Century Vindaloo recipe  (Read 10079 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 16th Century Vindaloo recipe
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2021, 06:54 PM »
Appraisal:
It was a hot dish, for sure. I actually preferred the ?one-pot curry? from the same site. I like a good vindaloo, had a ton of it in India, but really prefer the BIR version - heresy I know.
I?m not sure I?d cook it again.  I have another good size portion in the freezer and will revisit probably the weekend.
That glass of white was my last till at least February unfortunately. Trying the dry January thing, unlike a friend of mine who prefers the ?dry-ginuary? approach.

Robbo

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2021, 10:16 AM »
Appraisal:  It was a hot dish, for sure. I actually preferred the ?one-pot curry? from the same site. I like a good vindaloo, had a ton of it in India, but really prefer the BIR version - heresy I know.  I?m not sure I?d cook it again.

Never had the opportunity to try a vindaloo in the sub-continent, unfortunately, but a good BIR example is certainly not to be sniffed at.  But I agree with your findings
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:44 AM by Onions »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2021, 11:02 PM »
Robbo141, I'd say that using the Birdseyes would have lifted the Schoville rating a bit. Hot little things in my experience.  I only used 1 large seeded green Cayenne and it was plenty hot enough for me.

I also found that the fresh chilli had disintegrated leaving behind tough little remnants of chilli skin in the dish.  I haven't yet had opportunity to cook a chicken version.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Gave this its 3rd and final bash last night, reheating the portion I?d frozen. Still just as hot, but no more enjoyable for me. 16th century / genuine / traditional or not, I won?t be returning to this one I?m afraid.  The one-pot other recipe is a definite to try again though.

Robbo

©2024 Curry Recipes