Author Topic: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (Illustrated!)  (Read 47867 times)

Offline osirisrt

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (Illustrated!)
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 10:37 AM »
thanks!

ok ill tell you what i kept in. obviously the necessary ingredients, and the optional stuff i went for dessicated coconut, and evaporated milk, i also added the methi to the tandoori spiced mix (stage 1 i think it was). I left out the other stuff as i wasnt sure about it, and i left out condensed milk and dont think id put that back in again anyhow, as it gives me the impression of being too sweet. lol i know its not a particularly healthy dish, but im not sure about the condensed milk. Any ideas then ? maybe i should try it again with more of the other ingredients, but just looking through them im not getting a feeling of 'oh shit yeah!! thats what the missing ingredient could be!!'.. my locals ctm i think is quite unique and although has most of the usual ctm ingredients, i feel theres a thing or two that im totally missing out. nice one that i made yesterday though.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 05:05 PM »
osirisrt,

i think desiccated coconut is what needs changing. buy pure creamed coconut which comes in block form. it melts in the hot sauce as you add it. i find it tastes brill.

mine is made by ktc (www.ktc-edibles.co.uk) which may help you to trace local supplies.

Offline osirisrt

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 07:20 PM »
hi, i have creamed coconut and have tried it in the previous couple of ctm's ive tried before i made ca's one yesterday. altho it does add a nice flavour to the curry, its still not like my local one :D

this is the only curry im being really fussy about because well, i guess ive been spoilt by my locals ctm for a few years now. what the extra 'flavour' is im not really sure. im thinking next i may add some mango chutney or something to my ctm, see if that gives it the 'flavour'.. hmmmmmmm.. lol

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 07:26 PM »
The only way I've seen coconut added is in powder form. Also have you tried jaggery, perhaps its toffeish flavour is what's missing?

Offline osirisrt

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 10:30 PM »
Im not too sure, im not sure if its a toffee ish kinda flavour But im willing to try anything to try and get the flavour right. im pretty sure it has some form of coconut in it, and im also sure its got some ground almond in it. The sauce itself is quite runny, so that could be a thin base sauce with anything from cream to coconut milk or evaporated milk or just milk. So tempting to just walk in and say, wtf ?? what goes in your ctm !!? Im considering my next test to omit the cream and go with just powdered coconut milk, (going with the runnyness), and maybe try a tablespoon of something mango :) then maybe try the jaggery thing altho i dont *think* its that kinda flavour.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 10:31 PM »
I kept half of the optional ingredients in, but left out some of the more unhealthier options.....but is still missing something, that i just cant put my finger on......theres something 'else' in there that adds to the sweetness, and i cant for the life of me work out

Hi Osirisrt,

You think it lacks sweetness but you left out the following sweet things from the optional ingredients (plus other things):

• 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
  • 2 tbsp condensed milk
  • 6 tbsp sugar
  • 100g sliced creamed coconut block

I suggest you start by using all of the ingredients and seeing how you find that.  You can then systematically remove those you done want and asses the impact.

I'd be very surprised if jaggery or mango chutney is the answer.

Face facts Osirisrt, CTM IS unhealthy...don't fight it!  :P  ;)

Offline osirisrt

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 10:34 PM »
lol i understand the health implications. but yeah, i dont particularly think its lacking sweetness. its just a *particular* sweetness im after :D

Thing is , i know i left those things out, and maybe ill try them all back in next time, but im pretty sure the flavour wasnt any of those. is a tough one really.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 08:28 AM »
Osirisrt,

I suggest you start by using all of the ingredients and seeing how you find that

agree with Cory this is probably best way fwd. i have followed exactly and get the best family curry i've ever made. it is without question restaurant/takeaway standard.

for me the essentials are:
1) a quality base (i use parker21 but there are many on the site to choose from).
2) use of the block coconut
3) use carnation evapourated milk
4) use a bought tandoori masala powder (this is the only time i don't make my own) i use "Leena". there is quite a difference in makes so you might need to try a few eg i use TRS tandoori masala for dry rub bbq chicken as it's spot on but would not use for CTM.
5) i also sometimes add some of the leftover marinade from the tikka for a little extra lift.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 10:04 AM »
lol i understand the health implications. but yeah, i dont particularly think its lacking sweetness. its just a *particular* sweetness im after :D

I can relate to that, a place I used to visit a few years ago made a cracking curry and most variants had this certain sweetness to it and it wasn't sugar.  I thought at the time it was down to how they cooked the onions but never did manage to replicate it.  If you do find out let me know  8)

Offline osirisrt

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 12:45 PM »

I can relate to that, a place I used to visit a few years ago made a cracking curry and most variants had this certain sweetness to it and it wasn't sugar.  I thought at the time it was down to how they cooked the onions but never did manage to replicate it.  If you do find out let me know  8)

Will do ! :D

©2024 Curry Recipes