Author Topic: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (Illustrated!)  (Read 47922 times)

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (Illustrated!)
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2009, 09:19 AM »
Ok, I tried this yesterday and it was SUPERB.

I recommend to anyone to make this recipe using SnS's madras base but just leave out the chilli powder when making the base!  Worked a treat.  I was gonna use the saffron base but it was just too oily in my opinion... so I used SnS's madras base (June 2008) minus the chilli powder knowing this was a risk, but thankfully it turned out awesome!

Cory Ander, awesome CTM mate.  I looked at the other bases you recommended but (with no disrespect meant for the people who made them) they weren't as easy to follow as SnS's base.  With SnS you get exact quantities to follow, where the others seemed too vague in their quantities.

Great CTM!!  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Ok, I tried this yesterday and it was SUPERB.

Glad you liked it Robbo  8)

Good point about leaving the chilli out if your'e primarily making mild curries

Yes, also a good point about the quality of the written recipes; some (e.g. SnS's) are definitely much clearer and easier to follow than some others!  :P

Thanks for trying it and letting us know how you got on  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2009, 08:47 AM »
What can I say, I cannot cook curries :(
until I tried this, I was stunned how good it was

Great to hear that you liked it Will  8)

Thanks for trying it and letting us know how you got on  8)

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 04:42 PM »
Made this again yesterday but instead of the quantities stated, I halved everything to make enough for just me and 'er indoors...  like you said Cory, it works just as well when halved and was again an awesome curry!  (I only say this coz some curries state to use the EXACT quantities otherwise it comprimises the out come.)

So to summerise, I recommend anyone making this that they use SnS's June2008 madras base but omit the Chilli Powder when making it, and this is certainly the CTM of choice to go with that! WIN!  The SnS base uses FAR less oil than other bases.

Offline steveelsley

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2009, 04:03 PM »
 :D
Hi, Had a go last night......It was superb!
But didnt have and almond powder, so just used coconut instead.  Much better than i can get at any local Take Away.
Next time i will not put chilli powder in my base (was a bit hot for my wife)

Thanks for excellent recipe!
Steve

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Really glad you enjoyed it SteveElsley

Thanks for the feedback  8)

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Just a bit of an update for you.

For those of you who have read my previous posts, you'll know I use SnS's base for this curry but when making the base, I omit the chilli powder and substitute the madras powder for mild curry powder.  The resulting CTM is indeed AWESOME.

Now the update.  In a restaurant not far from me, they do a curry I've never seen other than in there called a Chicken Tikka Masala Madras.  Now it is exactly as it sounds and is actually VERY tasty and an exciting variation for those of you who like their curries spicy.

For this I use SnS's base as it should be (omitting nothing and even replacing Chilli Powder with Deggi Mirch) and when making the CTM paste using the spices, add 1 tsp of Deggi Mirch (or more if you prefer it hotter) to the mix.  Then cook as per CA's recipe.

It worked for me, voila.. a chicken tikka masala madras!

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2009, 12:02 PM »
Robbo1997

Glad that you a result with the CTM using a milder version of SnS base.This is something I've been meaning to try and as I have to make a new batch of base this week,  I will reduce the spicing in the base. Hopefully this should work with a Passanda or Korma. I like the sound of the CTM Madras and will add this to my do list.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2009, 01:06 PM »
In a restaurant not far from me, they do a curry I've never seen other than in there called a Chicken Tikka Masala Madras.  Now it is exactly as it sounds and is actually VERY tasty and an exciting variation for those of you who like their curries spicy.

Hi Robbo,
There are variations on a theme on this,
you may see in some restaurants or takeaways the dish Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala,
This is done by frying some sliced onions and garlic and green chillies at the start of the curry then make the Tikka masala as normal,
Great if you like the creaminess and sweetness of a CTM but with the heat and taste from the chillies and garlic,
Bob

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2009, 04:06 PM »
In a restaurant not far from me, they do a curry I've never seen other than in there called a Chicken Tikka Masala Madras.  Now it is exactly as it sounds and is actually VERY tasty and an exciting variation for those of you who like their curries spicy.

Hi Robbo,
There are variations on a theme on this,
you may see in some restaurants or takeaways the dish Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala,
This is done by frying some sliced onions and garlic and green chillies at the start of the curry then make the Tikka masala as normal,
Great if you like the creaminess and sweetness of a CTM but with the heat and taste from the chillies and garlic,
Bob

Mmmm that sounds nice, my standard order from my old local used to be CTM made Vindaloo hot  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes