Author Topic: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (Illustrated!)  (Read 47872 times)

Offline osirisrt

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala (Illustrated!)
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2008, 12:48 PM »
Osirisrt,

I suggest you start by using all of the ingredients and seeing how you find that

agree with Cory this is probably best way fwd. i have followed exactly and get the best family curry i've ever made. it is without question restaurant/takeaway standard.

for me the essentials are:
1) a quality base (i use parker21 but there are many on the site to choose from).
2) use of the block coconut
3) use carnation evapourated milk
4) use a bought tandoori masala powder (this is the only time i don't make my own) i use "Leena". there is quite a difference in makes so you might need to try a few eg i use TRS tandoori masala for dry rub bbq chicken as it's spot on but would not use for CTM.
5) i also sometimes add some of the leftover marinade from the tikka for a little extra lift.

yeah i understand the starting with all the ingredients, and who knows maybe the full recipe may give me what im after. The one i made using some of the ingredients was a very good ctm. but as ive been sayin, its a certain sweetness that, looking at those other ingredients, doesnt jump out as saying, yes ! thats the one. obviously using them all in the curry and after cooking may produce the overall taste, but ill have to try that out i guess, but as i say, from looking, it doesnt give me the feeling that one of those ingredients could be my missing thing.

Offline osirisrt

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2008, 12:51 PM »
oh, also. i use creamed coconut, i think pataks brand. my tandoori masala's are trs and east end i believe so decent ones. my desicated coconut is just a standard type box, everythin else is just good quality spices and such :D

Offline osirisrt

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 08:09 PM »
Well, i made this again tonight, more or less same as last time except the evaporated milk. This time instead of the cream, i omitted that, and i used the coconut milk powder, and actually made a cup of coconut milk. what i also did was threw in 2 tablesoons of mango chutney, into the milk/coconut,etc mixture, and then into a food blender lol gave it a whirl. i also cut down on the tandoori paste mixture too down to just 1 tablespoon. anyhow, going on my previous comments about getting close to my locals ctm, this was pretty bloody close. i think i can say they definately put some form of mango/syrup/mango chutney into the recipe, as im within like 2-3% now of my locals version. just need to make slight alterations to amounts and other stuff. Pretty happy with this one now. :D (well i was before, but even more so now)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 04:00 PM »
Osirisrt/Corry,
i was taken aback by osirist's need to reduce the tandoori paste to 1 tbsp and checked my copy of the recipe for what i thought was same but obviously is not. i can't find the original link but list the ingredients for info anyhow. Sorry but I have obviously been on a different CA?s CTM.

Ingredients:
2 or 3 tbsp Oil (veg or olive)
1 tsp garlic & ginger puree
Half a tbsp tomato puree
Pinch chilli powder
1 Heaped tsp spice mix
1 level tsp tandoori masala
3 Large ladles of curry gravy (Will clarify how much exactly)
1 portion pre-cooked chicken tikka (3 or 4 chicken breasts) - marinate 48 hrs cook 220 in fan oven 15 mins
3 or 4 tbsp cream (More if prefered)
2?x1? piece of creamed coconut (or to taste)
1 tbsp sugar
Red food colouring (optional)
Small handful of chopped coriander

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2008, 05:27 PM »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Can't believe it - fancy flattering CA all this time and then giving osirisrt duff info.

Curry King - many many thanks - your recipe is 100% spot on (it gets 3 out of 3 very big thumbs up in our family).  we are now cooking it regularly with consistent top notch results every time.

Simply fantastic.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2008, 12:34 AM »
Can't believe it - fancy flattering CA all this time and then giving osirisrt duff info.

I did try and enlighten you Jerry http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,539.msg20899.html#msg20899  :P

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2008, 08:13 AM »
whoops

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2008, 07:46 PM »
sorry,

wrong post

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 04:45 PM »
I made chix tikka usin the PC?CA method given here a few days back.  I marinaded the chicken for 24 hours, and cooked it at the top of my fan oven at 'full-chat' (220 c -ish I think) for 10 mins.......

FAN -BL@@DY- TASTIC !!!!!

I must say it really was worth faffing about with all the dried mint etc!

©2024 Curry Recipes