Author Topic: Patak's Kashmiri Paste?  (Read 12101 times)

Offline CurryLover_NZ

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Patak's Kashmiri Paste?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 07:28 AM »
The only Patak's pastes I can get here are Mild Curry, Butter chicken, Tikka and Tandoori.

However, I did manage to find a Kashmiri Masala made by MANGAL - 'quality products since 1912'. It is a fairly firm block of red paste sold in a cardboard package (sealed in plastic of course).

I have never used it before and so did not know what form it would/should take and could not compare it with Patak's. Anyway, I mixed it with a couple of tablespoons of oil and now store it in a jar - I assumed this is what the Patak's one would be like?

I only use it in my Tikka marinade and it seems just fine.

CL_NZ

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 10:32 AM »
CL what does it say on the label please, I am interested to see what has been put in it.  As I mentioned earlier there are reputedly hundreds of Var recipes and it may be made in a paste or powder form.  It is also used in religious ceremonies, e.g. weddings.  I would just like to get my hands on some real hot ones.

Thanks
CP

Offline CurryLover_NZ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 07:44 AM »
Hi CP,

I no longer have the box - I transferred the masala to a jar. Today I phoned 'The Spice Rack' to see if they have some in stock - they didn't last time - and they still haven't. They said they would order some in for me.

It's an hour return to the shop from Wellington where I work (walk/train/walk). Nearly two hours from home  :-\  Once they have some in I will post the ingredients for you.

I also bought some 'All-purpose Seasoning' from the same store. I notice that it is used in some recipes on this site. There were two types so I chose the one with the best looking mix.

This has been said before on this site I know, but as most of these masalas and mixes have the same core ingredients, plus a few others, wouldn't it be possible to put together a recipe that lists all of these ingredients with their cumulative weights/measures, thus doing away with the need to search high and low for the right mix from the right manufacturer?

CL_NZ

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 07:47 AM »
I've seen a BIR adding a red paste to their curries and I'd assumed it was some type of chilli sauce. Do you reckon this  kashmiri  paste is what some BIRs use to differentiate between say a Madras and a Vindaloo ?
The red paste is a mixture of tandoori masala,ground almonds,coconut powder (or dessicated),sugar and red colouring
I was given some
They said it goes into CTM and a couple of other curries to give them extra flavour
It tastes quite nice on it's own

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 08:12 AM »
I think theres a warning on pataks pastes not to eat them without cooking them first for what its worth.

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 08:30 AM »
Thats because of the new H&H labelling regulations Mark.  We all have to do it now >:(

I said I would dig out some Kasmiri Masala recipes that I have.  They are posted on the Spices thread in Hints and Tips. I see no reason for them not being made hotter with more chilli powder added.  These are recipes I picked up over the years I do not know their origin.

I guess Mark or Stew may move them elsewhere at some point, maybe we need a section for Masalas and Curry Powders?

CP

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 08:38 AM »
.......maybe we need a section for Masalas and Curry Powders?

Like here do you mean CP? http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=28.0  ;)

Regards,

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 02:17 PM »
It's an hour return to the shop from Wellington where I work
CL_NZ
I stayed in Lower Hut in Wellington it was absolutely freezing cold ? inch of ice on car windscreens phewwww
I would need plenty of chilli powder if I lived there cor strewth it was cold  :o
I bet it's warm now tho.
Layne  :)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 02:42 PM »
.......maybe we need a section for Masalas and Curry Powders?

Like here do you mean CP? http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=28.0  ;)

Regards,

It could do but it is not a specific sticky thread for Masalas etc Cory.  I shoved mine in Spices

Thanks
CP

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 01:12 PM »
CL what does it say on the label please, I am interested to see what has been put in it.  As I mentioned earlier there are reputedly hundreds of Var recipes and it may be made in a paste or powder form.  It is also used in religious ceremonies, e.g. weddings.  I would just like to get my hands on some real hot ones.

Thanks
CP

Hi guys long time no see  :)  I recently bought a box of the Mangal kashmiri masala and here's what is says:

Kashmiri tikka masala paste
gives added flavour to:
veg/non veg curries
sandwiches, pizzas
spaghetti
chinese and continental dishes
add to curd to marinate tandoori chicken fish  (sic)

Method:
mix small amount of water to form thin paste, add oil to retain paste form, store in glass jar for longer shelf life.

Ingredients:
garlic, coriander, ginger, chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, cumin, edible oil, caraway, salt.

It's a squishy block and smells heavenly. :)

©2024 Curry Recipes